PDA

View Full Version : 1157, 2057, 2357......???

84mark
May 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM
went to pick up some replacement bulbs today, and the same-appearing dual-contact round-base bulb (for running/stop/turn) is packaged under no fewer than three different numbers- 1157, 2057 and 2357...they look absolutely alike...what's going on...? what does the mk7 use, and what are the others for....???

Lee Joffe
May 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Marks with the round base bulbs came with ll57. The 2057 and 2357 were developed later and are a bit brighter - and one of them will fit just fine.

84mark
May 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM
well, they'll all fit fine, as they all have the classic standard round 2-contact base...i chose the 2057...brighter, you say...? to meet increased visibility standards, i would presume?

it's just that 3 different numbers is a bit much.....

WALTSAUTO
May 20th, 2005, 09:03 AM
all of the later models came standard
with the 2057 or 2357 and some are clear / red or yellow so they could make clear lenses -- the 1157 was older standard equipment -- they all
fit --contacts are same configuration
and any one will fit your car --
3 numbers no big deal with the variables
that exist today -- your parts counter
attendant should have been able to answer
these questions for you -- where did
you go --Autozone ??? --

84mark
May 20th, 2005, 11:38 AM
well, no one here seems to have the answers as to what the diff's are, so i sure wouldn't expect autozone to know.....

gadget73
May 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM
IIRC, the 2057 was designed as a replacement lamp for the 1157 correcting a design problem that could possibly allow the filament from one side to short out on the contacts for the other side. Or thats what someone told me. No idea if thats BS or what tho.

Drake_tr7
May 22nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
57 is the bulb 20 or 50 is the wattage..

ekooke
May 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Drake_tr7:
57 is the bulb 20 or 50 is the wattage..

So an 1157 = 11 Watt bulb? Don't think so. Bulb stuff: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html

Steve Moran
May 22nd, 2005, 09:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by WALTSAUTO:
your parts counter
attendant should have been able to answer
these questions for you -- where did
you go --Autozone ??? --
I had to wipe the tears from my eyes before I could respond, my sides f'n hurt from laughing.

The 2057 was first introduced in large Over the Road Trucks or OTR's as we call them, they have a heavier filliment designed to withstand the shock of the truck bouncing. We stock the 1157's for people that insist in having the same part numbers. Ya know the kind of people that think you are trying to feed them a load of crap because they think everyone is "Out to get them."
Other then that we try to upgrade everyone that had the 1157 in there cars from the factory to the 2057 bulb.

skarhed
May 23rd, 2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks Steve for keeping the facts straight. :cool:

Lee Joffe
May 23rd, 2005, 05:22 PM
The only reason we still have 1157s is cause there are billions of them in warehouses in Japan, China, Taiwan and the USA!! :D

jagdmailer
May 24th, 2005, 09:03 AM
What about 3157 then ?

Jagd

WALTSAUTO
May 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM
STEVE
Sorry I made you hurt yourself --
( rolling around on the floor will do that )
Iam not a politician, Iam a mechanic and came from the old school where a parts person was a mechanic too and actually knew automobiles --
It kills me to walk into a parts house that
has high school girls trying to sell me parts that dont know the difference between a Carb or fuel injector -- then they want to argue with you about a part that wont fit
because "thats whats in the computer"
GGRRRRRR --- Now some may be cute to look at
but here I am all greasy, nasty and smelly from crawling under a car all day, so I dont think I will be making any brownie "points" with her anyway --so just get me the right damn parts ---
Back to the bulb issue to answer
jagdmailer's question about the 3157,
If memory serves correct, I believe that the 3057 and 3157 have a majorly different base
then the 2057 -- I remember 4 contacts
in the base instead of 2 ( ground to shell vs pos / neg terminals ) and thus a different socket configuration -- I seem to remember these coming out around the same time as the introduction of control modules on these circuits -- cant just have a switch and wiring and a bulb anymore -- the module may need control of the neg side for sensors or other such nonsense -- but then thats just my observations and for sure open to more technical data --