PDA

View Full Version : '79 Conti caught fire

swampcreek
December 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM
In September I looked into the garage and said "lets take the Lincoln for a spin, it's been sitting a while". Well while it sat I think a mouse chewed the fuel line. I noticed a funny smell when she started but figured our new government decreed gas was going stale, what I didn't know was that it was spilling onto the top of the engine, needless to say 2 miles from home the engine sputtered, shut down and smoke came pouring out of the dash and from under the hood. Luckily I had water on board and was able to get the fire out quickly. Not too much damage occurred, the hood paint has a slight dark spot about the size of a CD. The carburetor has been rebuilt and I need to get a distributor. The major thing I can't seem to find is the wiring harness that runs along the top of the engine (400 M). Any ideas where I can find one? Local Junk yards have come up empty but I do have a few more to check.

markedman90
December 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Have you tried www.car-part.com ? National data base of yards.
There are also many vendors of NOS obsolete parts on the web, or possibly even Painless wiring could duplicate the original.

swampcreek
December 29th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I have this week off, I'll check a few private places out. The big pick-it/pull-it places around here are basically 1990's and newer. I might just have to rig something up using what I can assemble myself. Painless Wiring couldn't help and I didn't leave my contact information with the national car parts data base...yet.