PDA

View Full Version : Code P0442, bad tank seal?

Double Lincoln
January 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I have a 2001 Continental. I have a p0442 code comes up from time to time.
My mechanic says it is a seal or grommet on the gas tank. Dry rotted. The rubber is bad.
Lincoln dealer told him that they do not make the seals anymore for the gas tank.
Can't find them anywhere.
Any ideas?

cvar
January 13th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I'll bet Dorman makes a replacement seal. BUt exactly how does your mechanic know it's the fuel tank seal? Did he drop the tank to view it? Or was it just a guess?

You might want to check your engine's rubber vacuum hoses going to the EVAP canister system. I've had to replace 3 rubber hoses on my '01 Conti this year. Coincidence?

CreekyBird
January 13th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Once it's diagnosed properly, a great place to find parts is a "Ford Junk Yard" - that was helpful for me anyway. Unfortunately, parts are no longer manufactured with Ford on cars over 10 yrs. old (that's what the mechanic at the dealership told me); there are places who overstocked & still have new parts on their shelves. It all depends on what you're needing.

Surf the Internet too on pricing (some places way overcharge on older parts because they know they're getting harder to come by & we'll pay the price). There's also a guy on this site who sells various parts that may be helpful. Good luck! :D