PDA

View Full Version : 1965 lincoln crate motor

ronj20012
July 23rd, 2014, 05:50 PM
Hi

I am trying to replace the 430 instead of rebuilding the motor. Does anybody know where i can find a crate motor. I tried summit racing

gadget73
July 23rd, 2014, 08:07 PM
A MEL crate motor? Highly unlikely you will find such an animal. I don't think that motor has been installed in anything since the mid 60s. It wouldn't make sense to even offer one. Reasonably sure you're looking at rebuilding the one you have.

markedman90
July 23rd, 2014, 11:58 PM
What were you thinking of as a replacement. ? I think that the 430 / 462 were in a family all by themselves, and in stk trim, never meant for hi rpm running.
My '66 462 had a + sign cast into the piston valve pockets that (I was told) was to bump the valves up when they floated @ ~ 4000 rpm.
The odd bore / combustion chamber - canted @ the top - was supposedly a fore-runner of the 429 semi-hemi.
If you're a gamblin' man, see if Jasper offers anything - not a fan myself.

LithiumCobalt
July 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM
You wont find a crate MEL. The last time they were used was in 1968 Lincoln Continentals. There are little performance options for these and parts can be a little tricky to find, but these engines are damn tough, reliable, and simple to work on. They are suited perfectly for the heavy Continentals as they are torque monsters. Having one rebuilt isn't all that difficult if you find a shop that knows what they are doing. The next easiest option would be to go with a 460 as those were the replacement for the 462. Parts are much more plentiful and there are various performance options available if you feel like burning even more gas.

ronj20012
July 25th, 2014, 10:42 AM
thx Everyone, looks like a rebuild of the motor is the way to go.

Desert Stallion
September 5th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Clean it up, paint, polish, and turn it into a coffee table. Then drop a 460 in the car and call it good. This way you end up with an inexpensive to maintain driver with plenty of aftermarket support and performance potential, and a really interesting conversation piece to boot. :D

Seriously though, keeping the old classics alive is an art form. Find the best machine shop you can and go from there. Wish you the best, it's a labor of love no doubt.

LithiumCobalt
September 5th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Putting in a 460 would also require a different transmission and a whole slew of changes. Not exactly cost effective or practical. OP would be better off rebuilding the original block.

Desert Stallion
September 5th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Depends on the definition of cost effective. A 460 BBF and C6 transmission can be had from any junkyard in the country, obviously the Lincoln motor and trans cannot. Devil's advocate, while such a swap may cost more up front, in the long run it may pan out in favor of the more common parts.

But like I said, keeping the old classics alive is an art form, and I tip my hat to anyone willing to go through the hoops to keep one original and driving.

gadget73
September 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM
If I were going to bother with all that, it would be an EFI 460 with an E4OD or a C6 / Gear Vendors OD setup.

Desert Stallion
September 5th, 2014, 06:29 PM
LOL, yep, a Megesquirt EFI setup on a mild 460 with a turbo or two would be just the ticket to make the heavy Lincoln an amazing touring machine. I love the Gear Vendors products, but damn are they spendy. That said, in the long run after you pay to have your E4OD rebuilt with good parts, or just to have it rebuilt period depending on where you go, that simple C6 with the GV add-on starts looking more and more like a bargain.

I mean Hell, I killed an E4OD with a very mild 351W... with a single turbo, lol. It only put down 450-ish lbs of torque too. But for those who remember the mid 90s when the first Powerstrokes came out, they only made 450-ish lbs of torque too, and were killing E4ODs left and right. Not one of Ford's brighter moments that transmission was.

Actually a true story, I swapped out a 4R100 (new name for the E4OD) from a 5.4L F150 with a supercharger for a built 4R70W, which cost about $1500 less for the guy to have built than his 4R100, and that little 4R70W took countless hard launches at the track with drag radials and all manner of nonsense until the guy sold it and the kid who bought it wrapped it around a telephone pole the next week... Mental note, if you're driving a pickup with 500+lbs of torque and no traction control, and nothing in the bed, don't try to play Tokyo Drift in it...