PDA

View Full Version : 1998 Lincoln Continental/ Fuel Pressure Drop

Lasvegaskid
July 29th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I purchased this vehicle new
I am experiencing a strange problem at all speeds. It feels like some type of misfire but so severe
the vehicle bucks repeatably. I have worked on it myself, had it looked at by an independent mechanic and had it looked at by a Ford Dealer.
It has a new fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump driver module, fuel rail pressure sensor unit, new spark plugs and PCM. It's still doing the same thing.
I have determined that is defiantly a fuel pressure problem. The fuel pressure at the fuel rail and read off the data port both drop from reading as high as 58 psi down to below 10 psi and then jumps back up. There appears to be nothing significant that I can tell that causes it to do it, very intermittent. When the pressure drops low the bucking starts. I'm planning to put my volt meter on the power lead to the fuel pump to determine what the voltage is when the pressure drops low. I have to believe I'm not the only one that has had this problem
This is really bugging the heck out of me. Any replies would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bob

Lasvegaskid
July 30th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I'm thinking of changing the Crank Position Sensor for $25.00 to rule it out! Any Thoughts???:rolleyes:

Lasvegaskid
July 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I just changed the Crank Position Sensor. Much to my surprise when I removed the existing one, there was oil inside the contact plug. I sprayed some Brake Kleen into the plug and blew air into it to dry it. I installed the new sensor, and took it for a test drive. So far no problem, and I noticed that my FP Gauge connected to the fuel rail is showing an increase in pressure on acceleration. This was not occurring before. I'm not 100% convinced that the problem is fixed, but I have my fingers crossed. I will post once I put some miles on it.