PDA

View Full Version : Odometer not showing

george3405
August 20th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Hi All,

I have had no answers to the problems on my 1998 Continental. The biggest problem I need to fix is the issue that the odometer mileage does not display on the instrument panel. Speedometer and all other digital instruments work with the exception of the message center. Any ideas what the cause is and how to fix it? Thank you, George

MikeinLa
August 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

I have had no answers to the problems on my 1998 Continental. The biggest problem I need to fix is the issue that the odometer mileage does not display on the instrument panel. Speedometer and all other digital instruments work with the exception of the message center. Any ideas what the cause is and how to fix it? Thank you, George

I think everyone on here sold their Lincoln, or went on vacation! LOL!

2 weeks and I have not had any responses to my questions. 1 being the odometer only showing dashes on my 2002.

Check Transmission

Tach, nor the Speedometer is working anymore. All I did was install a new battery and all this started.

Now it shifts hard, steering feels heavy, and I do not know how fast I am going. And the brakes are smushy, and the ABS light is on.

WOW! What have I gotten myself into?

phrawg
August 20th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again for a reasonably
long time, like several hours, then re-connecting ? That would
be the first thing I would try. I have a 1998 Conti that I could
not even get to start for a while. I finally was about to send it
to a shop and went to get a new battery. When I installed it,
the vehicle fired right up, and several problems went away.
Post what happens if you try this and lets go from there.

Phrawg

MikeinLa
August 20th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Sorry to jack your thread George, but my problem is similar.

All my problems "Started" with a new battery.

I have no Odometer, Tach, or Speedo working on my car.

ABS is on, SES is on, Check Transmission is on, Low Engine Coolant (Even though the fill bottle is full).

I checked every fuse in the car, and under the hood.

I went to the junk yard and pulled a speed sensor off of another car, and it made no difference.

I am stumped.

george3405
August 21st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Does the digital instrument cluster of the 98 Continental have bulbs that back light the gauges? When I dim the instrument panel with the dimmer switch I can turn the whole cluster dark. If 1 (or more than 1) bulb is burned out in the message center that would explain it being blacked out. That could be an easy explanation. Anyone had their dash out to see or does the factory manual say anything about this? Thanks again. George