PDA

View Full Version : 1999 lincoln contental

Squizcash
January 18th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I noticed that my brake lights are not working when my headlights are on; my tail lights work so I know it's not the bulbs but when I press the brake it does not get brighter. I was told I may need a brake light switch so I changed it but the problem is still there please help

Botoole560
January 19th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I would do some probing in the back, and have a friend step on the brake to make sure the wiring is in fact working properly.

Next, I would go ahead and check the bulbs, and maybe replace a couple even if the filaments look all right. I say this because the contacts in the bulbs can sometimes get flattened to the point of not touching the contacts in the socket anymore, resulting in the bulbs not illuminating. I've seen this countless times on bulbs that have been in the socket for 15 years or so. Sometimes the bulb itself outlasts its own contacts. If this is the problem, you might be able to just bends the contacts back out and fix the problem, depending on which type of bulbs you have.

A less likely, but possible problem is that the brake light filaments are burned out, but the tail light filaments are still good. This can of course be fixed by new bulbs also.

I don't know if on your car, the brake lights might be on a separate fuse than the others, or maybe a nice previous owner monkeyed with the wiring somehow, but that would probably be the next thing to check after all that.

Good luck!!

cvar
January 30th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Dereck posted the handy electrical diagrams at
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83476

The stop lamp power signals come directly from the Lighting Control Module itself (part of your headlamp switch). Maybe yours is failing? Does the LG wire (pin 8) get power when you step on the brake pedal? Does the LCM then send power out (on pins 7 & 21) to the rear brake lamps? Does the power reach the lamps or not?

Oh, and is your battery weak?