PDA

View Full Version : RestoMod a Mark II

William Otterson
February 7th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I have a few Continental Mark IIs both 57 and 56 that we are restoring to original, but we are interested in RestoModing the parts car.

Can anyone recommend what late model drive train steering and suspension to use for a Mark II. Could it be Mark VIII or Town Car?

Your input is very much appreciated. We are also ready to start the restoration on a couple of 1960 MarK V Convertibles, which came new with 430 2 barrel V8s. The engines are difficult to rebuild because aftermarket pistons available are flat topped and only give 7 to 1 CR.

Am interested in what drive train would be recommended whether it be a 460 (385 engine) or later. I know there are Boss 9 heads that will fit regular 460 blocks.

Thanks for your advice.

markedman90
February 8th, 2015, 08:01 PM
A "few" MK IIs? I can't think of anyone here who wouldn't settle for 1.
I honestly know nothing about the IIs as far as what type of suspension etc. they originally had. I remember seeing a highly modded example cross the block @ a Mecum auction a few years ago, and iirc it used a Mustang front subframe and a 351C for power.
Mecum has a place on their website for "dream cars" where you can plug yours in and check auction listings and results. I don't know how far back it might go.
As far as the 1960 cars are concerned, it's hard to imagine not being able to find OE pistons for the 430. Finding oversize would be much harder tho. 430s and 462s are weird ducks for sure.
Re-powering them will also mean the trans, cross members, linkage etc. will all have to be reverse engineered too.
I'll call my engine guy tomorrow re: the pistons tho, and see what (if anything) he can come up with.
Welcome to the forum in any case.

LithiumCobalt
February 9th, 2015, 08:08 AM
You can get the stepped pistons that were used in the 430 and 462s, but they're a little harder to come by since they are less common. Last I checked, I think Egge has them. Be ready to spend some coin.

As far as a modding a Mark II....I don't want to sound like an ass, but modding seems blasphemous. There were very few of these cars made. Preservation/correct restoration would be the way to go, in my opinion.

markedman90
February 9th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Egge does list them but std. bore only on their site.
Engine kit # L430M59-60
Pistons # L2120
I couldn't locate any specs in the pdf catalog.

LithiumCobalt
February 9th, 2015, 02:07 PM
The 430/462 blocks are tough mofos. I rather doubt you would need larger pistons, but I guess anything is possible. Any of the rebuilds that I have seen used original size pistons.

60linc
March 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I am currently performing a resto mod on a 1960 Lincoln and my feelings on updating these early Lincolns, is if the car in question is not already in somewhat a prestine condition and just in need of a rebuilt motor, then by all means installing a current power plant could only make sense due to the asscessibilty of parts and information:ahoy:I guess with all the technology out here making something great even better is up to the individual

LithiumCobalt
March 5th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I am currently performing a resto mod on a 1960 Lincoln and my feelings on updating these early Lincolns, is if the car in question is not already in somewhat a prestine condition and just in need of a rebuilt motor, then by all means installing a current power plant could only make sense due to the asscessibilty of parts and information:ahoy:I guess with all the technology out here making something great even better is up to the individual

Finding parts is definitely easier for a more modern drivetrain, but the money saved is quickly offset by trying to adapt that modern drivetrain to your older car's chassis, accessories, etc. Although the parts are more expensive (we are talking classic Lincolns here), I find it easier to rebuild what is there than to try to modify things to make it all work. Maybe it's easier than I think, though, since I've never attempted such a feat.