View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2022, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Smile 4WD, V10, leaf springs

Hi Liquid lounge

Thank you for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidlounge View Post
since this is an Ex, I assume you would be talking about the fronts, so 2WD or 4WD? (coils / leafs) .... If you have leafs, I would just replace with V codes and use a shorter bump stop - this is assuming you have the diesel.
I have a 4WD gas V10 that has leaf springs all round and could do with replacing all four, the front ones are bent back on themselves so I guess they have sagged quite a bit and the rear ones are pretty corroded.

V code springs seem to be listed as unavailable and you now need to use X code springs instead.

Let me see if I can elaborate a little

OEM Excursion spring ratings
  • Front springs are rated at 1980lbs
  • Rear springs are rated at 2275lbs

F250 spring ratings
  • Front spring ratings = 2030lbs, 2430lbs, 2630lbs, 3250lbs or 3950lbs
  • Rear spring ratings = 3000lbs, , 3600lbs, 3900lbs or 4400lbs

I am sure there are probably some other ratings, all these springs come in various leaf numbers, pack thicknesses and free arch dimensions

First problem I do not want to sacrifice the car like ride of my Excursion by fitting springs with a high rating, considering my Excursion rarely does any towing or has a load greater than me, Jane and a bucket of KFC, I do not need or want any springs rated much above the OEM ratings.

The V or X code F250 front springs are rated at 2630lbs which as you can see is higher than the Excursion rear springs, I figured on getting some U code F250 front springs rated at 2030lbs, this would give me a slight upgrade over the OEM springs and as the spring arch is slightly greater maybe minor increase in ride height.

For the rear springs my only choice really is to go with an OEM spring rating as I definitely do not want 3000lb springs. One other fly in the ointment my rear springs are 7 leaves (6 plus a half leaf) and 3 3/16" thick, all the F250 rear springs are a maximum of 2 1/4" thick and I don't not want to have to get into sorting out the correct U-bolts/spacers/ ETC for thinner springs.

As Rockauto only list suitable front springs for my Excursion I have been trying to work out the cheapest option for shipping/taxes/ETC and it looks like I will be getting the front ones from Rockauto and the rear ones from Michigan Truck Spring.

Regards

Dereck

They eat cheap batteries like Dereck eats Little Debbies. - LSRX101