LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > LS
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old August 16th, 2021, 07:59 PM

RyLS is on a distinguished road
New LS owner here, with long cranking issues.

Hello everyone, and thank you for reading this thread in advance. Today, I bought a 2002 Lincoln LS V8. During the test drive, I noticed that the car took a little bit long to turn over when starting. But, seeing that the car was a good deal ($3500 for a clean one with no rust and barely 100k miles) I couldn't pass it up. As I kept driving during the day, the car kept taking longer, and longer to crank. Now it won't start on the first try unless I leave the key pegged for uncomfortably long. The car says the charging system is OK, and hasn't thrown any codes at me (and yes, I checked, the CEL isn't burnt out lol). I'm just curious as to what could be causing the long crank.

Thank you
Old August 16th, 2021, 08:45 PM
Administrator

DaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome!
We've got an LS guy floating around here somewhere - hopefully he'll stop by and give you some help.
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Lincaholic

joegr will become famous soon enough
I don't know if that reference was to me or not? However, I have since retired both of my LSes.
Anyway, he's getting help on that other forum...
Old August 17th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Administrator

DaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond repute
So the answer is a secret?
Old August 17th, 2021, 10:00 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKat View Post
So the answer is a secret?
Answer to his problem? It's not yet known. It has so far been established that he is losing fuel pressure while the car is off. Priming the fuel system by cycling the key before trying to start the car makes a big difference.
Is the fuel leaking back into the tank via a bad check valve in the main fuel pump?
Is the fuel leaking back into the tank via an issue with the secondary fuel pump?
Is the fuel leaking back into the tank via some leaky plumbing inside the tank?
Is the fuel leaking into one or more engine cylinders via injector(s) that aren't fully closing?
(Odds are that it is the check valve...)
Old August 21st, 2021, 02:17 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLS View Post
Hello everyone, and thank you for reading this thread in advance. Today, I bought a 2002 Lincoln LS V8. During the test drive, I noticed that the car took a little bit long to turn over when starting. But, seeing that the car was a good deal ($3500 for a clean one with no rust and barely 100k miles) I couldn't pass it up. As I kept driving during the day, the car kept taking longer, and longer to crank. Now it won't start on the first try unless I leave the key pegged for uncomfortably long. The car says the charging system is OK, and hasn't thrown any codes at me (and yes, I checked, the CEL isn't burnt out lol). I'm just curious as to what could be causing the long crank.

Thank you
It is cranking over the engine but not starting or not cranking when you turn the key?

One is electrical (fuse, relay, starter, solenoid, switch etc) issue and the other is most likely lack of fuel pressure at the injectors when cranking.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 09:48 AM
Lincaholic

Really, my last post should have made that clear. The starter is working just fine. Priming the fuel pump by cycling the key makes it start noticeably better.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 12:32 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Really, my last post should have made that clear. The starter is working just fine. Priming the fuel pump by cycling the key makes it start noticeably better.
Didn't see that in your post as I really didn't read your post or the other ones.
The OP was not clear in their post as to it cranking or not or just not starting with long crank time....so I was going to the source to have the needed information supplied.
I find that is the most accurate way when there is a question about someone's problem. Other people can post all kinds of answers, comments, related (but not the issue) stories of their own experiences....but none of this should be as accurate as asking the OP a precise question.

I guess I was in "problem solving mode" Lol as I am often in "story mode".

Has it been established that he is losing fuel system pressure or prime?

I do not see that in any his posts in this thread.

I see nothing about cycling key to because as you mentioned, this is the first thing to do in a long crank situation to see if it then starts right up.

More than likely a new pump will solve the problem. We may never know the answer to all your questions. lol

Time Life Books presents...Mysteries of the Unknown
Old August 23rd, 2021, 12:35 PM
Lincaholic

One thing that is non typical for check valve and or this typical situation is he said it kept getting worse throughout the day.

Normally it is only the fist start of the day often worse when it is cold temps out. After it starts each subsequent start is usually normal.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Lincaholic

All fair enough. He posted the same question to another forum, and that is where all the additional information was pulled out. I don't know if he is still looking at this forum.
Old August 25th, 2021, 09:13 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
All fair enough. He posted the same question to another forum, and that is where all the additional information was pulled out. I don't know if he is still looking at this forum.
Another forum??? !!!!! I think not! This is the only Lincoln forum worth visiting.