LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > General Topics > Lincoln Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old December 7th, 2021, 06:43 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
Activity??

I keep clicking "new posts" and nada. I need my car fix!
Come on guys....

Oh, BTW I did 3 oil changes in the last 2 weeks. That's a record since you know...I often neglect them very badly.

One hadn't been done since I bought it in Feb or 2019 but only 49K on it and I only put 3k in two years.

Another also hadn't changed since I bought it with 85,650 in Feb 2220. It was about 4k past the oil change sticker on the windshield. Just changed it at 90,700. Not terrible with most oils being syn blend now even at quick change places and even basic oils can go 5k and syn much longer (if you believe the hype/marketing/UOA's).

Daily driver had to go on 700 mile roundtrip and had gone 30k with no oil change...added a 2 qts over that time and 2 times added qt of MMO to clean it up some..lol but never got around to changing.
It's a 4.2 trailblazer and they hold 7.5 qts and known to go a lot of miles between changes and before the change oil light comes on.

Didn't get to the others yet.
6.0 in Escalade just said "change oil" and it went on the same 700 mile trip but I figured 700 over wasn't going to make much difference.
It's a one owner when I got it and the guy took it to valvoline quick change EVERY 3000! The inside or valve covers are new looking!
So I have a lot of cushion. Lol Bought it last year with 250k on it. Has 253 now. Clean as a new one. I rarely drive it. Just on trips or to tow something.
Last Thanksgiving I took it 2025 miles to FL and back in 2 days. PERSONAL RECORD!!
Towed a 47 Ford F1 to a friend in FL.

Have my oil and filter ready for my Lambo even though it doesn't need it and oil is new looking in it.
Not sure what last owner had in it for oil but he does have Wix filter so that's a good sign.
I'll probably only drive it one more time until it sits until late March/April when weather breaks. Will probably start it and run it a few times though. Only has 13k on it.

I have a doctors appt in a few days and the last time I was there I showed him pics of a black one I was ready to go buy that evening and was texting the seller.
Seller turned out to be a real a@@hole and sold it out from under me after telling me he was at work and would call be as soon as he got off and I told him clearly...."I'm a serious buyer with funds ready now and ready to head your way today"
I texted him at 5 PM and NOTHING......
Again at 7:30 and he then marks it as sold and pulls it.

I think he realized he was too cheap on it. I even waited 3 days and nicely said "Did you get that Lambo sold" He never responded.

I searched and kept ans eye for it to pop up at higher price or in other places but it never did.
I started my searching for others at this time too.

I told my doctor that I was planning my mid-life crisis car for my 50th and I only 48 days or so to do it.

So I scoured the country for them hours every day and 23 days before my B-day, I drove it home.

Last minute....like I do all my best work!
Actually, one of the few times I was early in anything I've ever done!

I had already looked at this one and was considering it and several others even though this one was by far the closest...only 30 miles away.
I was dealing with one guy who was on the fence about selling and a couple others I hadn't seen in person.....but the first one and the one I bought.....the guy said come on down and make me an offer.
I was there in 30 mins.
I really didn't think he was willing to sell either even though he has a small collection of cars. I didn't want to get my hopes up because I didn't think he was ready to sell and had no idea what he would want for it as he NEVER talked and numbers.... Arghh!

So as I was leaving and thanking him for letting me look at it he says "So you wanna buy it?
I said "Are you really ready to sell it?"
He said yeah, I think so.

So we started taking numbers and I told him I would go home and talk to the wife. It was getting dark and about 8:45.

I went home and showed her the (many) pics I took and she thought it looked really nice.

I told her I was probably going to have to buy it from him because regardless if it is THE one I want or not because the price was too good to pass up and I could always go buy one of the other ones and sell this one and make good money on it.

So we went the next day and went to bank and I drove it home.

He gave me a rubbermaid tote of parts and accessories, the framed picture, the Lamborghini flag, the chair, floormats, the History or Lamborghini book.

Now I kind of like it more and more. Especially that I'm 4 for 4 with people taking pics of it when I drive it to dinner.
Old December 7th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
"Sorry, there are no new threads to view"

Just depressing....

Slackers!!!!

I can't carry this forum all by long-winded self. Well, I could. But my fingers get tired.
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:00 PM
Lincaholic

I reply to myself and I still get no new posts, WRONG. I tell you.
Old December 7th, 2021, 07:38 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
honestly none of my stuff has needed anything. The closest thing to a problem I've had with any of mine in months is the plastic that the inner door pull on the Continental attaches to broke. I just haven't felt motivated to pull the door panel to fix it.

I did some research into the particulars of early 1990s Ford locks. Found the re-pin set that I need, just haven't actually bought it. I'd like to re-key my Mark VII so its back to the factory 2 key setup. The ignition cylinder has been replaced so its got an extra key now. I know how to get the cylinder out and apart, and I know what parts I need, just have to buy the parts and actually do the job.

1991 Mark VII LSC

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel
Old December 7th, 2021, 11:45 PM
Administrator

DaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a Snapper RER I could turn you loose on, Toby.
Old December 8th, 2021, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Smile I replied in your future

Hi Toby U

As I live five hours into your future I actually replied before you had started this thread it's just you cannot see it.

Regards

Dereck

They eat cheap batteries like Dereck eats Little Debbies. - LSRX101
Old December 8th, 2021, 10:30 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
honestly none of my stuff has needed anything. The closest thing to a problem I've had with any of mine in months is the plastic that the inner door pull on the Continental attaches to broke. I just haven't felt motivated to pull the door panel to fix it.

I did some research into the particulars of early 1990s Ford locks. Found the re-pin set that I need, just haven't actually bought it. I'd like to re-key my Mark VII so its back to the factory 2 key setup. The ignition cylinder has been replaced so its got an extra key now. I know how to get the cylinder out and apart, and I know what parts I need, just have to buy the parts and actually do the job.
That's better. We don't have to have problems just to sit on here and shoot the crap!
Old December 8th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Toby U

As I live five hours into your future I actually replied before you had started this thread it's just you cannot see it.

Regards

Dereck
That's deep! That back to the Future thing always did mess with my mind and SpaceTime continuum.
Old December 8th, 2021, 10:36 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKat View Post
I've got a Snapper RER I could turn you loose on, Toby.
Oh, I don't want to do anything. I just want to talk about things. I fixed three snow blowers yesterday and still have a line of things to do.
Snapper riders..

I hate those Forrest Gump things!
People love them though! I mean like unbelievable emotional attachment to them. They will put $300 to $400 into one when they could just go by another perfectly good used operating rider that doesn't need any repairs, at least when they buy it. Mostly it's because they're small and fit through gates easily but some people just feel more comfortable on the size of them. I find them to be wobbly and feel like I'm going to flip the thing from side to side.
About the only good thing about them is their friction drive system which is kind of like a snapper invention.
It's about the same design they use on there walk behind mowers and the design that most snow blowers have copied for over 30 years. A bond first inspection you would think it would last about 20 minutes but in fact it last almost 20 years before it needs a repair and then the friction disc part is only 17 to $20.
Not impressed with their front tie rods on their steering though at all. They make them pressed together so they're not really repairable and eventually they just fall apart. Kind of annoying when most other machines out there will go well past their lifetime and their steering tie rods will still be working just fine.
But my main rule for those is if anyone buys one in the future to stay away from the hydrostatic new style transmission they put on them. It is just as wimpy as the hydros and all of the newer machines and you would be much better served to get the old style drive with the friction disc because it is much more bulletproof. The last few years you've been able to buy both at a dealer. Who knows what they'll do this season or in the future
Old December 8th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
last rider I had was an MTD made thing. The front wheel "bearings" are plastic hat bushings. They wore out and the wheel ground into the spindle. Parts were expensive so I torch welded the spindle with coat hanger wire and ground it back down to being round again. The hole through the wheel was oversize so I got some UHMW plastic rod and made my own custom size bushings.

gave it away to someone who needed it. My neighbor has a cool zero turn mower and cuts my grass cheap. He can have it done in about 20 minutes where it took me better than an hour just because of all the goofy turns involved. I'd rather pay him than burn my time working on and riding on that mower.

1991 Mark VII LSC

Old December 9th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Lincaholic

--sigh--

Depressed, soulful sigh.....

A rain sensing windshield, rusty rockers---(both very uncommon post topics)...at least there was one or two driver floor leak follow ups.

huuuh, sigh, frown, sad face

I guess I'll go out in the cold and clean out a snow blower carb.
Old December 9th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Every fault covered

Hi Toby U

Have you considered that over the years virtually every conceivable problem has been discussed and solved, now all anyone needs to do is search the site for the answer to their problem so are no longer starting any threads?

Regards

Dereck

Old December 9th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Lincaholic

LeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to behold
So I guess I'm not the only one who noticed "Crunch Beast" is fishing naked, check out the look on the poor little guy's face on the right side of the pic, , , he looks absolutely traumatized.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1262.jpg (66.1 KB, 13 views)
Old December 9th, 2021, 05:48 PM
Lincaholic

LeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to beholdLeDe03 is a splendid one to behold
And screw poor grandma getting run over by a reindeer, it looks like Santa's got bigger problems at the moment.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1254.jpg (55.7 KB, 10 views)
Old December 10th, 2021, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Smile Excursion front axle overhaul

Hi Toby U

I am collecting parts to overhaul the front axle in my Excursion sometime in the new year, maybe I could start a thread on the process but I am sure you know how to refurbish a Dana 50.

So far I have
  • Brake rotors
  • Brake pads
  • Hub seal kits (should be hear next week)
  • Axle seals
  • Axle dust seal
  • A heap of thrust washers
  • The little needle roller bearings for the stub axles
  • One Hardy Spicer joint
  • Pair of shock absorbers
  • Tool for fitting axle shaft seals

Other stuff I need
  • To make a axle spreader tool
  • Quite probably at least one stub axle
  • Maybe a ball joint or two
  • A pair of cart springs (two pairs actually because I want to replace the rears as well)

Stuff to do while the axle is out
  • Clean and paint the axle
  • Powder coat my wheel spacers
  • Power coat or paint spring anchors and shackles
  • Clean, paint, inspect steering linkage

The only thing I am struggling with is obtaining a set of springs, Rockauto want $2300 including shipping and taxes, Summit Racing are cheaper but do not have a full set of the springs I want and whilst Ebay have front springs shipped through the Global shipping Programme at a very reasonable price I cannot seem to find standard rear springs from any Ebay seller, they all only appear to have heavy duty uprated springs which would be no good to me as 99% of the time it is only me and Jane in the truck on a KFC run

Regards

Dereck

Old December 11th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Box Mod

At the moment I'm testing a set of tubes for a Dynaco ST-70 tube amp that I'm fixing for someone. Was brought to me with a suspected bad transformer. I found two of the transformer leads reversed. Extremely high confidence that this will sort the issue out but checking the tubes just to make sure there aren't multiple problems.

how's that for non-Lincoln content?

1991 Mark VII LSC

Old December 13th, 2021, 12:45 PM

W.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud ofW.V. Kelly has much to be proud of
Non-automotive content

We don't mess around with non-Lincoln content we go straight to non-automotive.

As a volunteer with the American Cancer Society I received an incomplete stereograph which no one else could make sense of. A little research showed what the card holder should look like and I started in on it.
The first two images show what we got, the next two the finished product and the last with a card in place for viewing.
The bonus is a stack of cards including nearly a hundred of the battlefields of World War I. The collection will go on sale next week at our local ACS Discovery shop.
W. V. Kelly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6005.jpg (52.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6006.jpg (45.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6007.jpg (70.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6009.jpg (52.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6012.jpg (54.8 KB, 6 views)
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:39 PM
1995 Cartier

Newave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant futureNewave Dave has a brilliant future
I have one of those from my Grandma! I think I'll dig it out for our Yuletide festivities.

Old December 16th, 2021, 01:42 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Toby U

I am collecting parts to overhaul the front axle in my Excursion sometime in the new year, maybe I could start a thread on the process but I am sure you know how to refurbish a Dana 50.

So far I have
  • Brake rotors
  • Brake pads
  • Hub seal kits (should be hear next week)
  • Axle seals
  • Axle dust seal
  • A heap of thrust washers
  • The little needle roller bearings for the stub axles
  • One Hardy Spicer joint
  • Pair of shock absorbers
  • Tool for fitting axle shaft seals

Other stuff I need
  • To make a axle spreader tool
  • Quite probably at least one stub axle
  • Maybe a ball joint or two
  • A pair of cart springs (two pairs actually because I want to replace the rears as well)

Stuff to do while the axle is out
  • Clean and paint the axle
  • Powder coat my wheel spacers
  • Power coat or paint spring anchors and shackles
  • Clean, paint, inspect steering linkage

The only thing I am struggling with is obtaining a set of springs, Rockauto want $2300 including shipping and taxes, Summit Racing are cheaper but do not have a full set of the springs I want and whilst Ebay have front springs shipped through the Global shipping Programme at a very reasonable price I cannot seem to find standard rear springs from any Ebay seller, they all only appear to have heavy duty uprated springs which would be no good to me as 99% of the time it is only me and Jane in the truck on a KFC run

Regards

Dereck
Sounds intense!
I never guessed springs were so high. Just leaf springs right?
If not like really cheap I would try a local spring shop in my area I'm lucky to have.
They have great prices and have everything you could ever need and can make whatever.