LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Our Archives > LS Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Lincaholic

jack n
When my 2004 LS was two weeks old, it refused to start for about one minute. It took lots of five-second starter bursts until it started. I rationalized that a particle blocking the fuel flow finally cleared. Subsequent starts were fine until yesterday.

Yesterday, months later, the same problem reappeared. Had to crank it many times before it started. Then it started immediately the next time.

No service light appeared on the dashboard yesterday or when it happened the first time. I always burn Mobil or Shell 93 octane.

I'm concerned this may recur, but refuse start at all. Any ideas what's going on?
Old February 24th, 2005, 05:41 AM
Lincahollic

eL eS
how does the exhaust smell after it turns over?
Old February 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM

ekooke will become famous soon enough
2004? It's still under warrantee; make it a dealer problem.
Old February 24th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

pro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud of
You either need to get a code scanner on the system, or let the dealer do it. Unless you have real high mileage (tune-up, fuel filter) I wouldn't suspect anything but a sensor or computer calibration/update needed.

1971 Mark III
1972 Mark IV
1978 Mark V
1979 Mark V Collector's Series
1983 Continental
1983 Continental Valentino
1987 Mark VII GTC Stage I
1988 Town Car Signature
1989 Continental Signature
1995 Mark VIII LSC

Old February 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Lincaholic

jack n
The dealer's service rep told me that if the service light on the dashboard does not turn on, there's no problem code in the computer. IS HE WRONG?

Since the problem has happened only twice in seven months, I could take it to the dealer a dozen times, and it probably would not happen.

I did not check the exhaust. Will try to remember next time.

The car has only 6,000 miles on it, since I have two vehicles.
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Lincaholic

jack n
I guess the question in my last post was not noticed. Will appreciate responses so I know whether to call the dealer tomorrow.

"The dealer's service rep told me that if the service light on the dashboard does not turn on, there's no problem code in the computer. IS HE WRONG?"
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:40 AM

ekooke will become famous soon enough
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jack n:
I guess the question in my last post was not noticed. Will appreciate responses so I know whether to call the dealer tomorrow.

"The dealer's service rep told me that if the service light on the dashboard does not turn on, there's no problem code in the computer. IS HE WRONG?"
Everything that can go wrong that the OBD-II is capable of reporting doesn't necessarily make the service light flash. If the dealer doesn't want to pull codes, either buy your own code reader, or take it to another (more cooperative) dealer, or take it to an AutoZone and they'll read the codes for free.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Lincahollic

thamarkman
My mom's LS had a fuel injector go bad causing a no start situation. The injector stayed open flooding the engine. Maybe this is an intermitent problem for you. I've heard of other people having to replace their fuel injectors also. But, its a new car, make it a dealership problem.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

pro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud of
Codes can be stored without causing an engine light. They need to scan it...take it autozone for a scan. If they pull something up, you better talk to the manager of that service department about the intelligence of their service writers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

1971 Mark III
1972 Mark IV
1978 Mark V
1979 Mark V Collector's Series
1983 Continental
1983 Continental Valentino
1987 Mark VII GTC Stage I
1988 Town Car Signature
1989 Continental Signature
1995 Mark VIII LSC

Old March 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM
Lincahollic

Blublocker
I agree with pro-five-oh...the computer stores all kinds of information and doesn't necessarily have to triger an engine light (hard codes vs. soft codes) I'd be pretty steamed if the dealership did not want to look at something under warranty.