LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > General Topics > Lincoln Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old September 12th, 2017, 05:56 PM
1995 Cartier

Newave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud of
Cut the top off a 97 Townie.

God Bless America and the freedom to do what you want. Take a look at this video. Yes, we all know it's not structurally sound, but, the kid is having fun and learning a few things along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elA7Koet-qw

Old September 12th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Lincaholic

padroo is on a distinguished road
It actually doesn't make that bad looking convertible.

It could use a lot more refinement.
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:46 PM
Lincaholic

dave42 is a jewel in the roughdave42 is a jewel in the roughdave42 is a jewel in the roughdave42 is a jewel in the rough
Had some nice wheels on it.

2003 Limited 130K
1995 Signature 290K RIP
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:50 PM
Tech Writer

LithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud of
Man, these cars just do not look right without a roof in my opinion. OK project if the car is otherwise junk.....

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC DAE, 1996 LTC Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2004 LTC Ultimate, 2010 MKZ AWD Ultimate
Current: 2011 Chrysler 300C, 1994 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4, 1967 Continental sedan
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:38 PM
1995 Cartier

Newave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud ofNewave Dave has much to be proud of
Looks like the guy said that the car was not worth much. I enjoyed his comments about how the pillar moved when he opened the rear doors. Looks like fun to me! Imagine small town parades with twin bikini babes sitting atop the rear deck, tossing candy and waving to the crowd.

Old September 13th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Lincaholic

PDXTC is on a distinguished road
The description mentions a $2K budget including the cost of the car.
1984 Town Car (Gone)
1980 MK VI Emilio Pucci (Gone)
1995 MK VIII (Gone)
1996 Town Car Signature (Current)
Old September 14th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Lincaholic

91-LTC is a jewel in the rough91-LTC is a jewel in the rough91-LTC is a jewel in the rough
Not really my cup of tea, but it's never bothered me what others do to their cars, if you find it fun, have at it.

I sold an old computer case on craigslist a while back, aftermarket custom, and the guy that showed up was big into modding his car, looked like something out of Mad Max with spiky things on the front bumper and such, he seemed to love it which is cool.

If this could be done to where the car was structurally sound, and look normal, that wouldn't be so bad, otherwise seems like a waste of time, to me anyway. Otherwise looks reasonably ok as a convertible.

That said, I prefer the hard top on these, I don't even like the vinyl / canvas top ad on's.

1991 Lincoln Town Car Executive
1995 Lincoln Town Car Cartier
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:50 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91-LTC View Post
If this could be done to where the car was structurally sound, and look normal, that wouldn't be so bad, otherwise seems like a waste of time, to me anyway. Otherwise looks reasonably ok as a convertible.
I saw a suggestion in the comments that front & rear strut bars be added. I think it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91-LTC View Post
That said, I prefer the hard top on these, I don't even like the vinyl / canvas top ad on's.
I used to be a big fan of vinyl/canvass tops, until I saw vehicles with tops that looked perfect, but underneath they were rusted out from retaining water when the tops began to leak.
1984 Town Car (Gone)
1995 MK VIII (Gone)
Old September 17th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Lincoln less but not out

TheBossII will become famous soon enoughTheBossII will become famous soon enough
I always wondered what the townie would look like with a drop top. I kind of like it. I wonder what the Thunderbird (92) would look with a drop top.
Old September 17th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Lincaholic

91-LTC is a jewel in the rough91-LTC is a jewel in the rough91-LTC is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXTC View Post
I saw a suggestion in the comments that front & rear strut bars be added. I think it would help.

I used to be a big fan of vinyl/canvass tops, until I saw vehicles with tops that looked perfect, but underneath they were rusted out from retaining water when the tops began to leak.
I don't think I read the comments, my assumptions is they would be mostly negative. If something can be done to make it a bit more solid, that would be good.

My 91 has the canvas style (didn't take away that it was a nice car), I always wanted to remove it, but not worth the effort being it is likely in bad shape underneath. Deemed it too much work, when these cars can be found without it very easily.

1991 Lincoln Town Car Executive
1995 Lincoln Town Car Cartier
Old September 17th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossII View Post
I wonder what the Thunderbird (92) would look with a drop top.
Send the kid $2K & you can find out.
1984 Town Car (Gone)
1995 MK VIII (Gone)
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Now a CartierEditionOwner

SignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond reputeSignatureSeriesOwner has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think that's bad at all, actually. And that surprises me.

Don't feel too bad guys, its an Executive Series.
1983 Lincoln Continental, 76K
1979 Lincoln Continental Town Car 67K
1993 GMC Sierra K1500 SLE
1987 Itasca Windcruiser 37RQ
1983 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible
1966 Allis-Chalmers Golf Cart
Past:
1977 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Continental
1993 GMC Sierra C2500
1994 Chevy Astro Conversion Van
1995 Chevrolet Caprice

Old September 20th, 2017, 09:56 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignatureSeriesOwner View Post
I don't think that's bad at all, actually. And that surprises me.

Don't feel too bad guys, its an Executive Series.
#ExecutiveSeriesLivesMatter
1984 Town Car (Gone)
1995 MK VIII (Gone)
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Lincaholic

Michael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I always wondered what the townie would look like with a drop top. I kind of like it. I wonder what the Thunderbird (92) would look with a drop top.
When I jack my 97 VIII up to remove a front tire the door does not want to open. Body may be a bit too weak to cut the top except with a roll bar on the A pillar. Looked for convertibles and could not find any. But someone had the idea I had for my VIII.

Lead or Follow, But Stay outa the Way
Old September 21st, 2017, 02:32 PM
Lincoln less but not out

TheBossII will become famous soon enoughTheBossII will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael VII LSC/SE View Post
When I jack my 97 VIII up to remove a front tire the door does not want to open. Body may be a bit too weak to cut the top except with a roll bar on the A pillar. Looked for convertibles and could not find any. But someone had the idea I had for my VIII.

So if the thunderbird was a UTE (spelling?) that's what it would look, kinda like it

A Unibody car is almost impossible to chop down at all unless it was designed around it. Surprised the chassis has that much flex to prevent you opening the door. I wonder if it's a little better in the thunderbird not stretched like the MKVIII
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:38 PM
Tech Writer

LithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud ofLithiumCobalt has much to be proud of
I'm not really a huge fan of that era of Thunderbird anyways, but if there was a way to make it look its worst, this would be it. WOW.

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC DAE, 1996 LTC Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2004 LTC Ultimate, 2010 MKZ AWD Ultimate
Current: 2011 Chrysler 300C, 1994 Ford F-250 XLT 4x4, 1967 Continental sedan
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:02 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
I'm not really a huge fan of that era of Thunderbird anyways, but if there was a way to make it look its worst, this would be it. WOW.
It would be interesting if it were done to the current Impala & called an El Camino.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17 Impala.jpg (44.4 KB, 8 views)
1984 Town Car (Gone)
1995 MK VIII (Gone)
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:14 PM
Lincaholic

Michael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of lightMichael VII LSC/SE is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
So if the thunderbird was a UTE (spelling?) that's what it would look, kinda like it

A Unibody car is almost impossible to chop down at all unless it was designed around it. Surprised the chassis has that much flex to prevent you opening the door. I wonder if it's a little better in the thunderbird not stretched like the MKVIII
Not sure what previous damage may have been done to my VIII to merit new paint.

Quote:
Still the best roof line I've seen on any recent Ranchero interpretations on a VII or Crown Vic.
Lead or Follow, But Stay outa the Way
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:02 AM
Lincoln less but not out

Quote:
When i look at the front end of my 92, it has nice body lines. It's doesn't look aggressive or anything it's just there. IMO I think it looks good in that photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael VII LSC/SE View Post
Not sure what previous damage may have been done to my VIII to merit new paint.
That would suck if it was damaged in an accident.