LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Town Car > 1998 - 2011 Town Car
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 1st, 2021, 05:45 PM
Lincaholic

YachtOnWheels is on a distinguished road
Town Car AUDIO/THX write-ups: contribute!

I've done extensive and exhausting research on the sound sytems for 2003-11 Town Car audio systems. I want to provide a write-up for anybody who is interested in tackling a sound system upgrade.

These are probably some of the easiest systems to upgrade, despite most of the information given online that say they're complicated or require work-arounds. Very straight forward.

Please contribute to help fill in the blanks so we can provide a full write up. I don't have wiring diagrams, but I know there's many people here that do have the detailed copies. I don't have any power output ratings for amps or head-units. I don't know what differences exist between THX and earlier Non-branded navigation systems. Which trims had the Satellite radio options and THX? Feel free to dump this and any other info you have or make corrections as appropriate.

Notes:
Part numbers may not be provided for speakers, as Ford seemed to change the numbers on a whim or just use whatever was on the shelf to fit.

General Town Car features:
The maximum number of speaker locations is seven.
One 1.5" tweeter per front door sail-panel.
One 5x7" speaker per lower door panel
Two 5x7" speakers on the rear parcel shelf
One 8" enclosed shallow-mount DVC subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf

All subwoofers, except THX systems, have a monorail amplifier attached to the subwoofer enclosure.

All speakers are powered by the head-unit except in THX systems.

All head-units, except THX systems, output regular speaker-level signals for each channel, though the subwoofer channel is a pre-amp signal.

"base" SoundMark System:
I don't know the official name.
This appears to be the standard system for Executive/Fleet trim levels.
This typically includes a cassette-only head-unit, or a cassette and single-disc CD player.
The speakers are:
Four 5x7" single component speakers.

Upgrade paths:
Head-unit: This requires a simple wire-harness adapter and a head-unit with speaker-level output capabilities.
Speakers: One 5x7" speaker per door and two 5x7" speakers on the rear parcel shelf. Replace with 5x7" or 6x8" single-component or coaxial speakers.
Subwoofer: An additional subwoofer box and amplifier can be installed in the trunk, or any factory 2003-2011 Town Car subwoofer enclosure with factory amplifier can be installed below the parcel shelf. The required pre-amp signal from the factory head-unit can be provided with an additional two-wire harness adapter to integrate the factory subwoofer amplifier. This would only work if the base system has the wiring for the subwoofer in-place. If the wiring is not there, the signal can go from the pre-amp out to the amplifier using additional wiring. -can somebody provide input? An aftermarket head-unit should have a subwoofer pre-amp output that could use the factory subwoofer wire harness with a two-wire harness adapter, or additionally installed wiring from the head-unit to the amplifier.

"Premium" SoundMark System:
I don't know the official name.
This appears to be the standard system for All trim levels above Executive/Fleet.
This includes a cassette and single-disc CD player, or a 6-disc CD-only player head-unit.
The speakers are:
Four 5x7" coaxial speakers.
One 8" enclosed shallow-mount DVC subwoofer with sub amplifier

Upgrade paths:
Head-unit: This requires a simple wire-harness adapter and a head-unit with speaker-level output capabilities. If the head-unit includes a pre-amp output for a subwoofer, there is an additional two-wire harness adapter to integrate the factory subwoofer amplifier.

Speakers: One 5x7" speaker per door and two 5x7" speakers on the rear parcel shelf. Replace with 5x7" or 6x8" single-component or coaxial speakers.

Subwoofer: One 8" enclosed shallow-mount DVC subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf. Replace with a similarly-sized 8" shallow-mount subwoofer in the factory enclosure and wire the dual-voice coils to the factory amp. I forgot the resistance load, but you would have to match this impedance if using the factory amp. Input?
A replacement subwoofer box and amplifier can be installed in the trunk. The required pre-amp signal from the factory head-unit can be provided with an additional two-wire harness adapter. The plug to the amplifier has two wires that receive the pre-amp signal. I will update with the wiring information here An aftermarket head-unit should have a subwoofer pre-amp output that could use the factory subwoofer wire harness with a two-wire harness adapter, or additionally installed wiring from the head-unit to the amplifier.

THX Certified Sound System:
I Don't know what years and trim levels this option was available for
This includes a single-disc CD player-only head-unit.AFAIK, did the navigation head-unit have any multi-disc function? A 5-channel Pioneer amplifier is mounted in the trunk and powers all of the speakers and subwoofer.
The speakers are:
Two 5x7" 4Ω 50w coaxial speakers
Two 1.5" Tweeters
Two 5x7" 4Ω 50w component speakers
One 8" enclosed shallow-mount DVC subwoofer

Upgrade paths:
Head-unit: The stock head-unit only puts out a pre-amp signal. If you upgrade to another head-unit, it should have RCA outputs or any pre-amp output in general. There is no connection between the head-unit harness and the speakers. The harness goes from the head unit, to the amplifier in the trunk, which then powers the speakers. Citation neededYou will have to splice RCA connectors onto the harness wires for each channel. (insert wiring diagram).Citation needed

Amplifier: The stock amplifier is a 5-channel Pioneer. To bypass this amplifier, the wiring harness to the Pioneer unit must be spliced with RCA connectors to provide the pre-amp signal to an amplifier. (insert diagram and illustrative pictures)

Speakers: One 5x7" component speaker per door, one 1.5" tweeter per door sail-panel, and two 5x7" coaxial speakers on the rear parcel shelf. The rear speakers are conventional and simple to replace. The front speakers are component sets. The amplifier plugs into the door woofer. The woofer has a built-in LPF that then plugs into the tweeter. Replace with 5x7" or 6x8" single-component or coaxial speakers and 1.5" tweeters.

Subwoofer: One 8" enclosed shallow-mount DVC subwoofer on the rear parcel shelf. Replace with a similarly-sized 8" shallow-mount subwoofer in the factory enclosure and wire the dual-voice coils to the factory amp. I forgot the resistance load, but you would have to match this impedance if using the factory amp.
A replacement subwoofer box and amplifier can be installed in the trunk. The required pre-amp signal from the factory head-unit can be provided by tapping two wires from the stock amplifier input harness. I will update with the wiring information here An aftermarket head-unit should have a subwoofer pre-amp output that could use the factory subwoofer wire harness by tapping two wires from the stock amplifier input harness, or additionally installed wiring from the head-unit to the amplifier.

/End

I know it's bare-bones and just a start, but after the years that I've stared at harnesses, parts diagrams, and tracked down different models in junkyards I hope I can save somebody the same trouble and just make it simple.

Contribute all you can. I'd like this to be a near-exhaustive one-stop Town Car audio bible for everybody who gets apprehensive about upgrading their TC. It's not difficult, no matter what system you have. That's not the idea you'd get if you read online where everybody just regurgitates the same line about "OH it's so complicated, you have to bypass the factory amp and it uses an encoded digital signal that can only be deciphered by KGB fortran code monkeys and the speakers take metric audio signals."

I will provide as many pictures as I can. I have collected photos of every component of these systems, which are surprisingly hard to come across no matter how hard I search.

I upgraded my "Premium SoundMark" system. I replaced the Head unit with a Pioneer MVH-2400NEX. I'm using the factory sub enclosure with a Pioneer 8" woofer, which is powered by an aftermarket amp. The rear speakers are Infinity Reference coaxial 6x8". The front are component Focal ISU570 speakers. 6x8" woofers with 1.5" tweeters. I purchased a set of THX tweeter sail-panels to accommodate the tweeters. Last on the list is a mini amplifier for the full-range speakers. 45w RMS per-channel. Couldn't be happier with this setup and it was extremely easy and straight forward. No sorcery or hacking into the matrix.

Please share your upgrades, projects, and data!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 07:54 AM
Lincaholic

Hensley has a spectacular aura aboutHensley has a spectacular aura aboutHensley has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for this write up - this is FANTASTIC information. I've been looking for information on the different sounds systems and always hitting a wall.

I'm particularly interested in adding a subwoofer to my car. I have a super clean 2007 Executive with 50K miles. I've already had heated seats installed, one of the items I missed from my previous TC, and the only other thing I'd like to add is a subwoofer to the stock system.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 08:24 AM
Lincaholic

wolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of light
I don't have a ton to contribute but 04 with factory Navigation is a bit oddball, it was not THX till 05 and I don't know what they changed as I've never seen one. It has a sub in the rear deck and the front door speakers are coaxial. It's also quite integrated into the cars network systems, and the user manual for it is thicker than the one for the whole car.
Old March 2nd, 2021, 08:03 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_walker View Post
I don't have a ton to contribute but 04 with factory Navigation is a bit oddball, it was not THX till 05 and I don't know what they changed as I've never seen one. It has a sub in the rear deck and the front door speakers are coaxial. It's also quite integrated into the cars network systems, and the user manual for it is thicker than the one for the whole car.

Wow! This is a bit of a goldmine. What would it take to get some scans of that manual??

Your front speakers are coaxial, so you have no sail panel tweeters? I feel like somebody mentioned those were added mid-05. Please provide any pics of components that you may have!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 10:02 PM
Lincaholic

dave42 is just really nicedave42 is just really nicedave42 is just really nicedave42 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by YachtOnWheels View Post

Wow! This is a bit of a goldmine. What would it take to get some scans of that manual??

Your front speakers are coaxial, so you have no sail panel tweeters? I feel like somebody mentioned those were added mid-05. Please provide any pics of components that you may have!
It's the car owner's manual Wolf-Walker is talking about, I think?. The section on that radio is reeeeally long. You can download the owner's manual for free from Ford.

In at least the '03 and '04, Ford describes the audiophile system as "9-speaker", but they are calling each of the speakers in doors and rear shelf as 2 speakers each, plus the woofer. I've heard of some cars that have the tweeters in the sail panels but have never seen them.

The brochure for the '04 describes the Soundmark radio in the Ultimate as "150 watts with 8 audiophile speakers and woofer"

2003 Limited 190K
1995 Signature 290K RIP
Old March 2nd, 2021, 10:53 PM
Lincaholic

HEAD UNIT INFO
Please compare this to the stock head-unit in your TC and give some feedback!

ALL head-units have pre-amp outputs for the subwoofer, but I don't know if they support it internally.
Made by Sanyo, except for heat-sink models.
Are the models with heat sinks (like Alpine) higher output?

Single disc CD maybe? (I don't know if a single-disc model exists)
No branding
No SAT
2006-2010
6W1T-18C869-AA
No difference? Maybe one is a single-disc player

6 disc CD changer
No branding
No SAT
2005-2011
5W1T-18C815-AF

SoundMark
With SAT
6W1T-18C815-AA
9W1T-18C815-CA

CD and cassette
No branding
With SAT
2005-2011?
8W1T-18C868-AA
2005-2009?
5W1T-18C868-CA
2006-2007?
6W1T-18C868- AB

Audiophile Alpine
No sat
3W1T-18C868-CK (heat sinks)

Soundmark
With SAT
2005-2009?
6W1T-18C868-EA
6W1T-18C868-BA
5W1T-18C868-BF

Soundmark
No sat
2003-2009?
4W1T-18C868-AA (heat sinks) (Is this a non-branded Alpine?)
Old March 2nd, 2021, 11:17 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
It's the car owner's manual Wolf-Walker is talking about, I think?. The section on that radio is reeeeally long. You can download the owner's manual for free from Ford.
Thanks to these posts I now know this about the Navigation system:

This includes a 6-disc CD player-only head-unit.

Dear Wolf_Walker: Did the pre-THX navigation head-unit have any multi-disc function? Does yours have the voice activation button on the steering wheel?
Old March 3rd, 2021, 10:26 AM
Lincaholic

wolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of lightwolf_walker is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Thanks to these posts I now know this about the Navigation system:

This includes a 6-disc CD player-only head-unit.

Dear Wolf_Walker: Did the pre-THX navigation head-unit have any multi-disc function? Does yours have the voice activation button on the steering wheel?

Voice button yes, I believe the in dash unit is 3 disk but I'll have to check, it's never worked and I have a bluetooth adaptor so I can't recall. The unit is Pioneer made I think I remember seeing on it and was used with a different color face in the Navigator it seems.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 10:28 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:

No sail panel tweeters on the 04 with nav, I think those came with the THX rating in 05 or so? I'll get some photos of the manual, I believe it's a seperate book for the navigation though, it's waaay to big to scan them all I'm afraid. It's a pretty complex system back then, use-wise anyway, shame the maps were never updated very far.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 11:21 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Voice button yes, I believe the in dash unit is 3 disk but I'll have to check, it's never worked and I have a bluetooth adaptor so I can't recall. The unit is Pioneer made I think I remember seeing on it and was used with a different color face in the Navigator it seems.
Thanks for contributing! I have downloaded several MY TC manuals to compare changes across the years.

One thing that isnít mentioned in the manuals is the location of the voice recognition microphone. I believe I found a picture of one. It is simply double-side taped to the overhead console. and yes itís a Ford part. Does anybody have any other mounting situations theyíve seen?

Where is your DVD slot? In the trunk? And the amp is mounted on the driver side trunk wall? What options does your rear view mirror have? Onstar? SOS? Volume? Reverse sense?
Old March 3rd, 2021, 11:29 AM
Lincaholic

Mic is hidden somewhere, can't remember where to be honest. Overhead console maybe.
DVD map reader in trunk on left.
Amp in rear deck upper or on the back or the rear seat, can't remember, couple other modules back there as well.
Rear view mirror is auto dimming, that's it.
Overhead console has garage door opener buttons.
Car has the mid model reverse sensor setup, no LED's in the rear,
just beeps, when it works..
Old March 3rd, 2021, 01:54 PM
Lincaholic

joegr will become famous soon enough
Of course, it could well be different on the Town Car, but on the LS, the THX navigation voice microphone was in the auto-dim rear view mirror. Also, it was a six disc changer behind the screen.

I don't know how much (if any) of this would also apply to the Town Car, but it might help.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file...tm~gen~ref.htm

Last edited by joegr; March 3rd, 2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 02:35 PM
Lincaholic

Gotta be the mirror or the overhead console, can't think of anywhere else it'd be, I've had the dash fairly apart before and didn't see it. The voice control is so old, I never can remember any of the exact phrases it wants to hear, and they didn't work especially well anyway. But it was cool!
Turning off the display screen at night is probably the most useful one.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 06:24 PM
Lincaholic

Black 5.0 Lincoln will become famous soon enough
I have it on a 04.

Factory Nav with SAT Radio Option and Factory Bluetooth Option (microphone is on the rearview mirror). Comes with a 6 Disc CD changer in head unit and NAV DVD in Trunk.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 07:14 PM
Lincaholic

That factory sat radio option thing is mighty rare, I think there was a bluetooth module too from that era, also very rare.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 07:31 PM
Lincaholic

Checked my service manual and the mic is for sure in the rear view mirror, though I don't see a grill on the front for it.

I'm also apparently having a pre-senior moment, there is a quick start guide but not a seperate book for the navigation system. It does have it's own rear mounted external amp that runs the four main speakers and a dual voice coil sub though.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 08:30 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Checked my service manual and the mic is for sure in the rear view mirror, though I don't see a grill on the front for it.

I'm also apparently having a pre-senior moment, there is a quick start guide but not a seperate book for the navigation system. It does have it's own rear mounted external amp that runs the four main speakers and a dual voice coil sub though.
Check the image attached. If it is not in this location (on top of the mirror) then it is located elsewhere. I've seen a Ford microphone taped to the upper console, so maybe some installations were later additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 5.0 Lincoln View Post
I have it on a 04.

Factory Nav with SAT Radio Option and Factory Bluetooth Option (microphone is on the rearview mirror). Comes with a 6 Disc CD changer in head unit and NAV DVD in Trunk.
This seems like an exceptionally rare setup. How did you get your hands on it? What unique things do you notice about yours VS. common models? And what trim?

Your microphone looks like attached image?

Thanks everybody. A lot of info to compile here. I have dozens of pictures too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 822CC2FC-E07C-44D0-8CA3-3868CA267249.jpeg (81.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg 8173AB37-3C90-41C6-9116-72DC8AADE144.jpeg (80.8 KB, 14 views)
Old March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 PM
Lincaholic

Mine does not have the hump on top, the mic appears in the wiring diagram as being in the mirror in my 04 electrical manual though.
Old March 4th, 2021, 12:14 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Mine does not have the hump on top, the mic appears in the wiring diagram as being in the mirror in my 04 electrical manual though.
I'd be interested to have such resources for myself. I've never been able to find clean, organized, quality copies.

I'd like the service manuals as well as the wiring diagrams. Parts diagrams would be a plus.

I'm willing to pay if I have to, but I would need exhaustive complete diagrams and manuals.

Mind posting a pic of your rear-view mirror?

Here's another update:

Made by Sanyo
Are the models with heat sinks (Alpine) higher output?

Single disc CD
No branding
No SAT
2006-2010
6W1T-18C869-AA

No branding
No SAT
2005-2011
5W1T-18C815-AF
Why is the part number sequence similar to a changer model?

6 disc CD changer

SoundMark
With SAT
6W1T-18C815-AA
8W1T-18C815-CB
9W1T-18C815-CA

CD and cassette
No branding
With SAT
2005-2011?
8W1T-18C868-AA
2005-2009?
5W1T-18C868-CA
2006-2007?
6W1T-18C868- AB

Audiophile Alpine
No sat

Soundmark
With SAT
2005-2009?
6W1T-18C868-EA
6W1T-18C868-BA
5W1T-18C868-BF
5W1T-18C868-AF

Soundmark
No sat
2003-2009?
4W1T-18C868-AA (heat sinks)

Navigation made by Pioneer
6-disc changer
5W1T-18C985-AD

Wiring:

Navigation
Main: 24-pin connector for power, steering controls, speed signal, illumination and speaker-level out
Ext: 16-pin connector external interface for satellite, signal input, phone, CD changer etc.
14-pin? unknown
18-pin? unknown

Alpine (heat sink) System
SUB out: 8-pin Square connector for subwoofer pre-amp out
Main: 24-pin connector for power, steering controls, speed signal, illumination and speaker-level out
Ext: 16-pin connector external interface for satellite, signal input, phone, CD changer etc.
Bus: 20-pin connector Parking aid mute, SCP bus ???

Basic systems
SUB out: 8-pin Square connector for subwoofer pre-amp out

Harness options:
1. SUB out: 8-pin Square connector for subwoofer pre-amp out
2. Main: 24-pin connector for power, steering controls, speed signal, illumination and speaker-level out
3. Ext: 16-pin connector external interface for satellite, signal input, phone, CD changer etc.
4. Navi: Connector for Navigation
5. Bus: 20-pin connector Parking aid mute, SCP bus ???
Old March 4th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Lincaholic

You can usually find the service manuals on ebay, thick one is mechanical, mostly, thinner one is electrical, they are actually really good manuals, have one for my 90 I had and my 04 I have now. They are year specific. Mirror pic later this evening.
Old March 4th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Lincaholic

I have my eye on some OEM shop DVDís that are fully indexed and searchable

Still looking for the parts fiches. Those go a long way in my research.

Apparently there are a total of four different speakers for the TC.

Full-range oval-cone with Whizzer cone
Coaxial oval-cone
Unique Coaxial oval-cone and Component oval-cone woofer for THX certified
2-way enclosed round-cone speakers

Can anybody identify the difference? All TC speakers are 50w EXCEPT the whizzer type and the enclosed type. Those are 25w.

I have a 2006 Designer and a 2007 SL TC. They have exactly the same CD changer and subwoofer. My Designer came with 25W 2-way speakers while the SL came with 50W coaxial ovals.
Old March 4th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Lincaholic

It's becoming clear I don't actually drive my TC much, as my mirror DOES have the little hump on top. Oi...

So, the radio amp in mine is 3w1t-14b484-aj, and a 3w1t-18t806-ag.

I can't remember which style speakers it has, I know they were 2 way though. I believe they were the first style you posted.
Old March 4th, 2021, 05:50 PM
Lincaholic

Thanks for being a gold mine, heh. Are you saying you have the round cones? I bought a THX certified system and they included ovals. Attached pic. It wouldnít make sense for a system with a much larger amplifier to use the 25W option.

Also, one part number you listed is the trunk opening mechanism control module. The Delphi unit. Dunno why 99.9% of sellers list it as the amp, as ford lists it as something very different and if you unplug it, the music isnít effected. It always receives power even with key off.

Does anybody know how the Ford part numbers work? Iíd like to be able to read sequences and figure out what car model the part originated in and what year each revision was made.

Good to know Iíve identified the location of the microphone.

Iíve opted to yoink a microphone from a Fusion and cut a hole into my headliner. I use this microphone with a Pioneer head unit. Works fantastically. Attached.

Iíll post a complete write-up for my system when Iíve completed the project. I prefer for everything to look tidy and match OEM equipment. I donít like tacky add-ons like tweeter pods or clip-on microphone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3EEBDE6F-BBF8-4A9B-8B71-600C92EB46E4.jpg (55.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8F222530-BE0D-4617-8F9C-B788D6BEE10A.jpg (9.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by YachtOnWheels; March 4th, 2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 4th, 2021, 08:09 PM
Lincaholic

Pretty sure mine are round hole with a seperate tweeter in the same housing, the first pic you have posted above. I'm going off memory, I do know my 1990 with JBL option had the same looking speaker, I actually have a photo of it.

I saw that one module wasn't very amp-looking, I couldn't find it on any official ford sites, figured someone would sort it out.

Ford part numbers, and the parts supply in general, are a mess.
My post here has a little bit about them:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=91338
Old March 13th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Lincaholic

I forgot one small detail.

It seems that there was a different parcel shelf panel for different audio systems.

Wolf, does your system (without sail panel tweeters) have speaker grilles on your parcel panel?