LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Mark VII
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 19th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Lincaholic

Dave Wilson is on a distinguished road
Gt40 head swap

I am putting gt40 heads on my 91 lsc this week They have had a small resurface. Do you think I can put these heads on use same pushrods, head bolts and rockers that are on the stock heads? Is it any more horsepower to use 1.7 or 1.6 rr. Thanks
Old February 19th, 2018, 09:10 AM

W.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to behold
How small?
W. V. Kelly
Old February 19th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Phantom Moderator

90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
I am putting gt40 heads on my 91 lsc this week They have had a small resurface. Do you think I can put these heads on use same pushrods, head bolts and rockers that are on the stock heads? Is it any more horsepower to use 1.7 or 1.6 rr. Thanks
Like Bill just asked, how much were they milled? Was it just enough to clean the surface, or was it to make more compression. If milled a lot, you need another set of pushrods.

Rocker arms......While you can get a few more horses using 1.7 rockers on the setup you're putting together, it is only a few.
I suggest -if you're spending cash on new roller rockers- you buy some 1.6. The main reason is that when it is time to install a new cam, 99% of what you will buy will have the lift and duration spec'd out using 1.6 rockers. As in not only the total lift and duration but the ramp rate (how fast the valve is lifted) is factored in.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

8 Time Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
2003-2009, 2013
Old February 19th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Lincaholic

The heads are at machine shop. The plan is only to resurface and check to see if they are square. He doesnít think they will need milling hardly any. If they do I know I will need to measure push rods. My question is if the pushrods do fit. Can I take factory rockers off my factory heads and attach them to gt40 heads. Drop in rods and tighten down rockers and reassemble. The reason for the question is so I can assemble when I get heads back or should I buy other parts. I want to drive it this weekend and I donít want to wait on parts for a week. Also gt40p springs are mentioned as weak. Will they be fine for stock cam in 5,0 ho lsc engine. If rods and rockers work should I put them back in original location
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Phantom Moderator

90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
The heads are at machine shop. The plan is only to resurface and check to see if they are square. He doesnít think they will need milling hardly any. If they do I know I will need to measure push rods. My question is if the pushrods do fit. Can I take factory rockers off my factory heads and attach them to gt40 heads. Drop in rods and tighten down rockers and reassemble. The reason for the question is so I can assemble when I get heads back or should I buy other parts. I want to drive it this weekend and I donít want to wait on parts for a week. Also gt40p springs are mentioned as weak. Will they be fine for stock cam in 5,0 ho lsc engine. If rods and rockers work should I put them back in original location
Here is a problem that just popped into my head:
You've removed E7s and you're installing GT40 (side question:GT40 or GT40P?) heads.
You may need new pushrods. The pad heights may be the same, or way off. You won't know until you take the time to see if everything is right when you bolt them down.
I can say this.....I swapped the stamped steel rockers for Cobra 1.7 rockers (great deal, was not swapping cams for a long time) on the E7s and did not need different pushrods.
When I swapped in the AFR 165s, the same thing and all was well.

Bottom line is, go on Youtube and watch a boatload of videos showing the proper way to check for pushrod length with BOLT DOWN STOCK STYLE PEDESTAL MOUNT rockers.
I capitalized because there are loads of videos for stud mount rockers/pushrods.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old February 19th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Lincaholic

Very good advice thanks
Old February 19th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
have to measure. Piece of advice, buy the adjustable pushrod tool to figure out the sizing if it turns out the stock ones are not right. I tried making one from a stock pushrod, but Comp measures their pushrods in a different way than Ford does, and it happens to be a method not easily reproduced at home.

91 LSC SE, triple black, lots of miles

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel, lots of lunacy
Old February 21st, 2018, 10:28 AM
Lincaholic

Luckydog is on a distinguished road
Also, I wouldnt use the same head bolts. Due to stretching and torquing and such. Head bolts new arent that expensive considering the the problems that could occur. Go to Ford or ARP and get new ones.
Old February 27th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Lincaholic

Does any one know what are good headers for my 91 lsc gt40p set up?
Old February 27th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
The Ford Racing ones work very nicely. Not the cheapest but they're good quality and fit great. P heads specifically need headers with a little different bend to the tubes otherwise you'll never get the plugs in.

Old February 27th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Lincaholic

Where can they be bought. I have looked
Old February 27th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Box Mod

good question. They used to be available from everywhere but a quick look shows them discontinued. In that case I frankly do not know what the right answer is.

Old February 27th, 2018, 11:57 PM
Lincaholic

2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold
Cool GT40P Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
good question. They used to be available from everywhere but a quick look shows them discontinued. In that case I frankly do not know what the right answer is.
I have a set that are supposed to be correct, but I also have the P heads. I'd have to split them up and I don't want to do that. I have a set of stock headers I will try and match up then maybe.....

Seems like I read somewhere that a different plug could be used. You might search that.
86 BB 125k. Wife's daily driver (comfort car) Paint code 8T
87 BB Miles est 58k. Glamour paint-Desert Prairy Mist, code 4L.
87 Base 108k White, code 9L
1984 TD, Platinum/silver(1Q),131k
parts cars 88,90LSC 5spd and89BB=10 and 23 sold.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Old February 28th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Lincaholic

Looks like headers need to be put into place before putting heads back on because of limited space.
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:56 AM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:
Looks like headers need to be put into place before putting heads back on because of limited space.
Dave, go to www.corral.net
There is the Windsor Tech forum and the Mustang General Tech forum.
Searches in one or both will likely produce the info you need on what headers work best with P heads.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old March 1st, 2018, 08:59 AM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:
Not quite certain what exactly you mean, but if you're saying you need to bolt the headers to the heads, and then install the heads, nope.

Passenger side the header slides in from the top if all the emissions stuff is out of the way.
Driver's side you come in from under.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old March 1st, 2018, 01:28 PM
Lincaholic

I was not going to bolt to heads first. I was thinking they should be positioned, bolt on heads then bolt to heads. I didnít want to mount heads and the realize there was no room from bottom or top to get them in place
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:28 PM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:
I was not going to bolt to heads first. I was thinking they should be positioned, bolt on heads then bolt to heads. I didnít want to mount heads and the realize there was no room from bottom or top to get them in place
Gotcha.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old March 2nd, 2018, 05:42 AM
Lincaholic

I have ordered a set of macs headers. I will let you know how they fit
Old March 2nd, 2018, 09:35 AM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:
I have ordered a set of macs headers. I will let you know how they fit
I strongly suggest you also order a set of ARP header bolts, the ones with 3/8 12 point heads.
You are about to find out that the bolts provided with headers will technically work, but are a huge pain in the rear.

You are also about to find out that you are going to have to grind and reconfigure the oil dipstick mount at the header bolt. Maybe even bend the tube itself as well.

You also need to order a set of FelPro 1415 header gaskets, as the ones provided with the headers are garbage. Really, just throw them away.

When installing headers, snug them as best you can on initial installation. After that, you need to go back and retighten them after every heat cycle for 4-5 times. If you don't, you'll have leaks.
After that, you're golden.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:12 PM
Box Mod

Alternative option, socket key cap screws and a long bit with a ball hex end. The reduced hex ones that come with the headers do indeed suck.

Old March 6th, 2018, 05:23 PM
Lincaholic

Ok, here is where I am now. I have heads ready to go on. The gt40 heads donít have the holes for cross over pipe. No big deal I just donít know what to do with the pipes. Should I just plug the pipe at the nearest fitting with a plug or eliminate the whole thing. Any suggestions ?
Old March 6th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Box Mod

personally I'd ditch the whole thing. Smog pump and all. If you need it for visual inspection I believe you can bolt it up and just plug it.

Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:12 AM
Lincaholic

Quick update. I have completed the swap. Everything looks right. I fired up the car and it ran rough. Would not idle but I did drive it to end of the street. Now it will not run. I think it is flooding or just misfiring but will not start at all now. I may of based the plugs. Should I try replacing the computer and if so what computer should I look for. I don't want to test it back down but I will if someone can think of a fix. Thanks again I love this car
Old July 22nd, 2018, 07:15 AM
Lincaholic

I meant to say gassed the plugs