LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Mark VII
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator

DaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond repute
At least we won't have to rent port-o-potties - Jerry terrified me into spending a buncha money to get my bathrooms worked on!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
'cause I'm a Dancer!

skarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really nice
Thanks to all of you for your kind words. From the responses I can tell it has the creative juices flowing from many wells. That's good, the more heads the more ideas.
I'll try to fill in some of the gaps:

Quote:
(Drake_tr7) I wonder if the bag material is the same for the standard bags ? Could one concieveably turn a standard Blass bag into a GTC bag with an appropriatly molded adapter ?
The best we could tell, the bladder material is/was the same as any other OEM bag we've seen. Conceivebly you could make an adapter for a Blass base, but the urethane doesn't stretch enough to slip it on as we did to the LSC base.

Nick, I think the difference is that the increaseing rate keeps the front from deflecting as much and so there is less stored energy to work against. Still thinking about this.

Derek, you're right on. If these were to be made from scratch making a specific single piece base would be the way to go.

And as further proof that great minds think alike, W.V. Kelly had already started scaling from the first photos and came up with his own version within mm's of the actual. I love it!

2009 Long Hauler and Street Challenge 4th Place
SkarMark#1 - '88 LSC Black/Maroon: In Physical Therapy
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM

lscaddict is on a distinguished road
Where are the pictures?

Everyone is talking about pictures, but I can't find them...
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:05 PM
ridin' with lady luck

95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light
clicky-> http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00258.html <-clicky
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM

lscaddict is on a distinguished road
Thanks!!
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:35 AM

filda is on a distinguished road
Hello can anyone help me...

HELLO I'M NEW HERE AND I'M SEARCHING FOR PHOTOS OF A MARK VII FROM 1984 IF ANYONE CAN FIND OR HAVE PLEASE SEND ME OR PUBLISH HERE
THANK U
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Lincaholic

2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by filda View Post
HELLO I'M NEW HERE AND I'M SEARCHING FOR PHOTOS OF A MARK VII FROM 1984 IF ANYONE CAN FIND OR HAVE PLEASE SEND ME OR PUBLISH HERE
THANK U
Read this for some info: http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org...tory/index.htm

Please be more specific as to what you want to see. The bodies are pretty much the same but some sloght changes through the years. (Also, this should be a separate thread and not under the GTC springs.)
86 BB 125k. Wife's daily driver (comfort car) Paint code 8T
87 BB Miles est 58k. Glamour paint-Desert Prairy Mist, code 4L.
87 Base 108k White, code 9L
1984 TD, Platinum/silver(1Q),131k
parts cars 88,90LSC 5spd and89BB=10 and 23 sold.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Lincaholic

mercman1951 will become famous soon enoughmercman1951 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manymarks View Post
Read this for some info: http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org...tory/index.htm

Please be more specific as to what you want to see. The bodies are pretty much the same but some sloght changes through the years. (Also, this should be a separate thread and not under the GTC springs.)
I skimmed thru this with great anticipation but alas, I must ask, -- what does GTC stand for besides Grand Touring Coupe...and how does that relate to these air bags?

Projects & Current Rides:
1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
2003 Mercury Marauder (SOLD)
1979 Mercury Cougar XR-7 'Sentimental Toy'
1951 Mercury Lead Sled on a 1988 Lincoln Town Car Chassis:
http://landyachts.homestead.com/index.html
Other cars past & present:
http://landyachts.homestead.com/startpage.html

Last edited by mercman1951; July 10th, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Lincaholic

2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold2manymarks is a splendid one to behold
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman1951 View Post
I skimmed thru this with great anticipation but alas, I must ask, -- what does GTC stand for besides Grand Touring Coupe...and how does that relate to these air bags?
GTC-Grand Touring Coupe

Part of the package that includes enhanced body shape, suspension and performance. Have you visited
http://web.atmc.net/~snonnenman/

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oil Master

Kit Sullivan will become famous soon enoughKit Sullivan will become famous soon enough
It sure would be nice if those new GTC cabots were made available to the guys who actually ponied up the dough and bought a GTC body kit. Just a suggestion...
1976 'Starsky & Hutch' Gran Torino (460 4V)

"I'm too old to grow up now!"
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Phantom Moderator

90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold
Funny you should mention it.

The project had to be taken off the stove for a while. Not even on the back burner, but off the stove. Way too many other things going on.

That's not to say we won't fire it back up sometime soon. We will. There is just no way to tell when "soon" will be.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

8 Time Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
2003-2009, 2013
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Purveyor of mirth

Drake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond reputeDrake_tr7 has a reputation beyond repute
Here's an idea..(I plan to try)
We have the blueprint, thanks to our esteemed associates Places like McMaster Carr sell polyeythelene round stock. A short stub can be fixed to a faceplate on a wood lathe and turned just like a bowl the poly has enough give to slip over an LSC base like their cast polyurethane creations. Most of us have a connection to an amateur woodworker that has a lathe if one asks around a bit. I should think most would like to be able to claim they made a genuine go-fast part for a car on their wood lathe

Feasable yes ?
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Phantom Moderator

90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold90LSC is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake_tr7 View Post
Here's an idea..(I plan to try)
We have the blueprint, thanks to our esteemed associates Places like McMaster Carr sell polyeythelene round stock. A short stub can be fixed to a faceplate on a wood lathe and turned just like a bowl the poly has enough give to slip over an LSC base like their cast polyurethane creations. Most of us have a connection to an amateur woodworker that has a lathe if one asks around a bit. I should think most would like to be able to claim they made a genuine go-fast part for a car on their wood lathe

Feasable yes ?
This is very feasable. It was one of the directions I was headed in when I stepped off into the molding.
The exterior dimensions are in the article and the internal dimensions are the base of an LSC bag.
I found several companies here in TX and all around the country that sell the poly bar stock, and it was not stupidly expensive.

OR.....please be patient and Glenn and I will see what we can do.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Lincoln Conehead

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice
This isn't the cheapest option, nor do I want to step on anyone's toes but I am in the vicinity of numerous machine shops and I couldn't help but wonder. I have looked into recreating the springs down to a T. It would cost about $300 a pair for the aluminum sleeves alone. We would then need an air spring to be rebuilt with the sleeve. I would add maybe $250 or $300 for the new springs for a total cost of $600. A number of things popped up on my end and so this project has stalled for me as well. However, the option exists and I lay it out there.

1985 Continental Burgundy Gone
1986 Mark VII LSC Medium Graphite Metallic 1J
1986 Mark VII LSC Silver Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC Pewter 17 Gone
1989 Mark VII LSC Pewter
1994 Mazda Miata Red
1999 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
1999 Dodge Viper ACR Viper Silver
2000 BMW 540iA Biarritz Blue
2001 BMW 540i/6 Jet Black, Dinan Sprinkles
2001 BMW M5 Anthracite

Family Fleet:
1999 Continental Lt. Parch. Gold Met
2000 Continental Lt. Parch. Gold Met
2008 Mercury Sable Light Ice Blue Met
2012 BMW 335Xi
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:02 PM
'cause I'm a Dancer!

skarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really niceskarhed is just really nice
Quote:
This isn't the cheapest option, nor do I want to step on anyone's toes but I am in the vicinity of numerous machine shops and I couldn't help but wonder. I have looked into recreating the springs down to a T. It would cost about $300 a pair for the aluminum sleeves alone. We would then need an air spring to be rebuilt with the sleeve. I would add maybe $250 or $300 for the new springs for a total cost of $600. A number of things popped up on my end and so this project has stalled for me as well. However, the option exists and I lay it out there.
This was exactly the reason we explored other methods of changing the shape of the base. To date the urethane sleeves are working as desired. In my opinion I feel the originals were a less than grand solution to start with. Also, after many miles of testing I'm thinking that on a car with the 5.0 in it the same shape as the original is TOO much rate increase due to the lesser weight of a 5.0. With the flexibility of the urethane it will be much simpler to create a less aggressive profile and change it out. I've just been very short of play time to experiment with this further.

2009 Long Hauler and Street Challenge 4th Place
SkarMark#1 - '88 LSC Black/Maroon: In Physical Therapy

Last edited by skarhed; December 30th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
Were the GTC springs the same on both the Stage 1 (5.0) and Stage 2 (5.8) versions, or is that one of the many mysteries?

91 LSC SE, triple black, lots of miles

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel, lots of lunacy
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
ridin' with lady luck

95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light95pres is a glorious beacon of light
Stage I was the body kit and badging only.

Stage II was the handling package i.e.-air springs,sway bar,shocks...etc.
(Stage II could have been a 5.0 or 5.8)

There was never a "stage III" badge designating a 351w and/or T5.

Last edited by 95pres; December 30th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:03 AM

bentley is on a distinguished road
GTC Air Bags

Are these still available? I would be interested in acquiring a pair. Also, if there are any other GTC mods available, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Thanks
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Lincaholic

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
Are these still available? I would be interested in acquiring a pair. Also, if there are any other GTC mods available, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Thanks
The GTC airsprings are no longer available although they have been copied and made by individuals. Read all thread posts. The bodykit is still available.

Old January 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
Thanks
Welcome to here, by the way.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Lincaholic

emccalment is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I'm so excited my heart could explode right now. I don't know I managed to not find this website earlier... I've had a Mark VII since I was 15, 8 years ago. I'm on my third one now, and I've finally got that big boy job that lets me play with it!

Now, as it turns out, I don't have the skills or tools to make a set of these... but I know some guys that know some things, so I'm totally gonna make it happen.

And about that GTC body kit. You mentioned it was still available... Where do I sign up? I'm not in the market to do body work yet, too much left to do to the engine, electrical system, interior and suspension... But I'd rather acquire one while I know I can rather than waiting until I can't.

PS: You guys rock.... hard.
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator

DaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond reputeDaKat has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccalment View Post
I'm so excited my heart could explode right now. I don't know I managed to not find this website earlier.
Me either - we've been right here!
Quote:
Well, on behalf of all the guys - thanks! And welcome to Lincolns OnLine!
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Lincaholic

Cool

Quote:
I'm so excited my heart could explode right now. I don't know I managed to not find this website earlier... I've had a Mark VII since I was 15, 8 years ago. I'm on my third one now, and I've finally got that big boy job that lets me play with it!

Now, as it turns out, I don't have the skills or tools to make a set of these... but I know some guys that know some things, so I'm totally gonna make it happen.

And about that GTC body kit. You mentioned it was still available... Where do I sign up? I'm not in the market to do body work yet, too much left to do to the engine, electrical system, interior and suspension... But I'd rather acquire one while I know I can rather than waiting until I can't.

Check here http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51299 It's a long thread, but the guy you want is W. V. Kelly. He can put you on target.

Old January 29th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Phantom Moderator

Quote:

Welcome to Lincolns on Line.
I am glad you found us. We always can use another Mark VII fan.
Black on Black.
I want more power!

2003-2009, 2013
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Lincaholic

emccalment is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Well, I registered for Fordvschevy.com like a week ago. Still waiting to be added to the list so I can post or message for inquiry about the kit. Very annoying.

Any idea if you're ever going to be able to trying out different dimensions for a sleeve that would feel better with the 5.0? I mean, if I'm gonna reap the rewards of your hard work, I might as well wait and reap the proper rewards right?