LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Mark VII
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:38 PM

Methodoverdrive is on a distinguished road
85 Mark vii engine problems

Hey all.. New to the forum. I've got my first lincoln and love it. I'm having a problem keeping it running though. It's a 1985 LSC with the 5.0 HO. It will start but surges and hesitates and won't take gas very well. I have to feather the pedal just to keep it going. It has sat for the last 5 years. If it sits and idles, it will only do it for about 30 seconds then dies. After that, it will restart but if I don't give it has it will die. Where should I start? I replaced the fuel filter thinking that would help but still the same. Doesn't smell like it's running rich, no smoke, and exhaust feels good coming out. I hate to start replacing things cause that adds up fast. Any ideas or help please?? I want to get to driving this beauty and enjoy her. Thanks in advance!!
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:12 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
have you run enough fuel through it to get a fresh tank in at least?

Check vacuum lines and the condition of the plugs and such. 85 also has the crappy timing chain, and the EGR arrangement that seems prone to getting stuck partly open. Its CFI too, which makes it rather more annoying since it has a much more complicated vacuum system.

Also worth checking it for codes. It may or may not tell you something.

91 LSC SE, triple black, lots of miles

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel, lots of lunacy
Old February 3rd, 2018, 09:54 PM
Lincaholic

padroo has a spectacular aura aboutpadroo has a spectacular aura aboutpadroo has a spectacular aura about
I would pump that old gas out first thing. I bet you could put a match out in that old gas. Or maybe I wouldnt.
1983 Buick Rivera Convertible
Old February 3rd, 2018, 11:14 PM

Methodoverdrive is on a distinguished road
The gauge only showed 5 gallons so I put some seafoam and another 5 gallons of fresh gas in it. Strange thing is that the car was driven 100 miles to be delivered to me and the delivery guy said that it had just started running rough when he was almost here. But not sure if he put gas in it or he just drove it here on what was in it already. I guess I need to buy a fuel pressure tester. When the car is running, the injectors don't seem to have a good spray pattern.. Almost sparatic and just not uniform.
Old February 4th, 2018, 10:34 AM

W.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to beholdW.V. Kelly is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodoverdrive View Post
... I guess I need to buy a fuel pressure tester. When the car is running, the injectors don't seem to have a good spray pattern...
Don't buy one, borrow one from your local Autozone/Oreilly's/Pep Boys. They rent out tools like this and refund your money when you return them.

We agree with the consensus regarding old gas. You probably have a fair amount of varnish on the injector bits and possibly some dirt to boot. Some dismantling may be required to clean them out.
Never give up,
W. V. Kelly