LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Town Car > 1998 - 2011 Town Car
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old October 24th, 2020, 07:06 PM
Lincaholic

Babyburr will become famous soon enough
Heater Blend door

Anyone have an idea of what it will cost to get blend door actuator replaced?
Hope not an arm and a leg. Maybe just an arm.
Old October 25th, 2020, 10:53 AM
Lincaholic

bobofthenorth will become famous soon enough
Depends which one you are talking about and the vintage of your car - there's up to 5 of them. They range from moderately inconvenient to replace all the way up to "genuine PITA, tear the dash completely out of the car" difficult. I'm just a shade tree wrench puller myself and I've done the job on a 1997, 2001 & 2007 so its not impossible for a DIY. There's plenty of web resources to walk you through the job ahead of time. On my 2007 the guy I bought the car from had been quoted $2500 to $3000 by a dealership. It cost me roughly $200 for all 5 motors plus about a day out of my life with very limited assistance from my wife.
1984 Mercedes 300D
1990 Bayliner 2755
I amuse myself
Old October 25th, 2020, 11:04 AM
Lincaholic

Thank you sir, for the information. I used to be a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Just canít do too much on em anymore. Iíll have to get it done or just live with it.
Old October 25th, 2020, 12:08 PM

towncar95 has a spectacular aura abouttowncar95 has a spectacular aura abouttowncar95 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyburr View Post
Thank you sir, for the information. I used to be a pretty good shade tree mechanic. Just canít do too much on em anymore. Iíll have to get it done or just live with it.
so what are what not is it doing ? did you do the EATC self test to see what codes it may give you ........... some have had results doing the EATC self test many times in a row and it would make it work again , dont know if it was a permanent fix though.

03 ONWARDS TOWN CAR EATC SELF TEST
Submitted by ABE / 04-10-10

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00280.html

also this other tech article may help you

'03 ONWARDS TC EATC MODULE COLD BOOT PROCESS
Submitted by ABE / 04-10-10

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00281.html

also if you want to look at having it fixed this estimator tool may help you , but you really need to know which one it is like bob of the north said .. dont give up yet !

https://repairpal.com/estimator
non 1984 cougar
gone 1989 continental
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
If it is clicking as most do when they malfunction....we just went through a lot of this and my "special copyrighted Toby-blend-door-no clicky-get heat and cold" procedure that can work fairly well for most people and save the what seems to be a min of 600-800 repair at shop for just the one replacement.

I've done them too and heater cores and it all sucks.

I'll link the other post thread in a min.

Here's the thread. Read post 8 and 14.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=92504

Last edited by TobyU; October 25th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old October 26th, 2020, 01:47 AM

towncar95 has a spectacular aura abouttowncar95 has a spectacular aura abouttowncar95 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyU View Post
If it is clicking as most do when they malfunction....we just went through a lot of this and my "special copyrighted Toby-blend-door-no clicky-get heat and cold" procedure that can work fairly well for most people and save the what seems to be a min of 600-800 repair at shop for just the one replacement.

I've done them too and heater cores and it all sucks.

I'll link the other post thread in a min.

Here's the thread. Read post 8 and 14.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=92504
toby does the dual climate controls have more then one blend door actuator?? im guessing yes but i dont know about those systems.

i may be one of the few , but i didnt find it too bad to replace the blend door actuator , though i only pulled the dash back on the right side and snapped it of the top and replaced. but shortly afterwards the whole bend door hinge broke off . had to replace that , then the new one broke a year later, fixed with metal hinges this time , replaced core and actuator again just to be safe . im not saying i loved doing the dash apart 4 times but after the first it was like cake , if i had an indoor garage to work on at my house i would do that on the side and charge 1/2 of what places want .
non 1984 cougar
gone 1989 continental
Old October 26th, 2020, 09:36 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by towncar95 View Post
toby does the dual climate controls have more then one blend door actuator?? im guessing yes but i dont know about those systems. .
Not Toby but ....... yes, there's a driver & pass side blend door located above the tunnel. The pass side motor is relatively easily accessible with no massive disassembly required. There's a recirc door located under the glove box which is also relatively easily accessed. The two bastards are the "mode" motors which I believe are placed on the assembly line first and then the entire car is built around them. To access them you remove the dash assembly, place it on your bench and then tear it down to bits until you finally get to the miserable motors.
1984 Mercedes 300D
1990 Bayliner 2755
I amuse myself
Old October 29th, 2020, 06:53 PM
Lincaholic

I did the EATC self test. 2266 code. Drivers side blend door actuator.
2005 TC. Anyone know the part # I need?
Old October 30th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Lincaholic

Here's the notes I made for myself when I got done changing all the motors this spring:

9W1Z-19E616-B (AKA YH1768) This is the actuator for both the driver/pass blend door and the recirc door. The driver/pass doors are immediately above the tunnel on the air box. The pass side motor is accessible without removing the dash and the d side may also be accessible by removing the lighting module.

The two mode motors are each different. The one on the driver side has a straight actuator lever and the one on the passenger side has an actuator lever with a curved slot in it.

The mode door actuator for the driver side (straight lever handle) is YH-1754-1X or 9W1Z-19E616-B. The passenger side mode door actuator (curved lever handle) is YH-1755-1X or 9W1Z-19E616-C

Note that I said the driver side blend motor MAY be accessible without removing the dash. I saw some references online which suggested that and it kind of looked logical to me but when I did the job the dash was out anyway so I can't confirm that it is or isn't possible without removing the dash.
1984 Mercedes 300D
1990 Bayliner 2755
I amuse myself

Last edited by bobofthenorth; October 30th, 2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old October 30th, 2020, 09:30 PM
Lincaholic

Thank you for those part numbers. Helps a lot