LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > General Topics > Lincoln Lounge
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old May 17th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Lincaholic

nbizzle is on a distinguished road
Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias Normal or Police Edition

What do you all think of these alternative Lincoln's? I have limited funds to work with and think it's finally time to get something newer than my 94 TC with 225000 miles on it..the Crown Vics and Grand Marquis are the same drive train wise as the Lincoln (I think) but are cheaper. The Police Interceptor Vics are cool but I'm afraid of the potential transmission ware and tear. I'd like a newer Lincoln but I'm having trouble finding one thats priced right..so I'm leaning towards the Grand Marquis..Any thoughts on this? And could I still come here for questions?

Thanks!
1997 Honda Accord Station Wagon, 5 Speed, 175,+++
(Sold) 1994 Town Car Jack Nicklaus Edition, 225,+++
Old May 18th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Lincaholic

fastrace01 has a spectacular aura aboutfastrace01 has a spectacular aura about
The Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias are great cars.

They are not as roomy, or classy as a Town Car, but they are nice.

I see 2003-2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate trims with like 130,000 miles for $3600 all the time.

On the 95+ the radios are hard to reach on the dash, so for a Town Car, I'd go with ones with the steering wheel controls.

In late late 2001 on the Crown and Marquis, steering wheel redundant controls were first optional, but extremely rare.

2003/2004Crown Vics LX, 90% had radio controls.

About 70% of Grand Marquis 03/04 had radio controls. I guess Ford was trying to use up all their extra steering wheels before the new 2005 steering wheel.

Of course none of the GMQ, or Crown base trims had steering wheel controls.

Try and find a mid year or later 03.

The early 03's had axle bearing issues, timing chain tensioner faults, and cracking intake manifolds.

If the front seats have the little pouch attached to the front of the bottom seat cushion, then it is an early 03.

I bought a real nice 03 GMQ Ultimate trim with 140,000 miles on it over a year ago for $3650 and it had 4 new tires+ a new battery. Of course the LCM lighting control module went out right after I got it, but now Ford will fix them for free if the car is 15 years or younger and under 250,000 miles.

I'd get a Crown, but I'd only buy the higher trimmed cars.
No police or base trims. Having things like key pad entry, auto dim mirror, lumbar, redundant audio controls, trip computer, outside temp display, etc is nice.

I'd buy a Crown or GMQ in a heart beat.

I have two 03 Town Cars, 03 GMQ, 01 Crown LX, 95 Town Car and equally enjoy driving each one.
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
If you buy a CVPI, try and find out where it came from. If its got the vinyl "puke seat" in the back, pass. You want the ones that have cloth interior. Those are usually detective's cars and won't have all the hours of idling that the patrol cars had. SOmetimes those were used by other township and county agencies and will have less abuse too.

1991 Mark VII LSC

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrace01 View Post
The Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias are great cars.

They are not as roomy, or classy as a Town Car, but they are nice.

I see 2003-2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate trims with like 130,000 miles for $3600 all the time.

On the 95+ the radios are hard to reach on the dash, so for a Town Car, I'd go with ones with the steering wheel controls.

In late late 2001 on the Crown and Marquis, steering wheel redundant controls were first optional, but extremely rare.

2003/2004Crown Vics LX, 90% had radio controls.

About 70% of Grand Marquis 03/04 had radio controls. I guess Ford was trying to use up all their extra steering wheels before the new 2005 steering wheel.

Of course none of the GMQ, or Crown base trims had steering wheel controls.

Try and find a mid year or later 03.

The early 03's had axle bearing issues, timing chain tensioner faults, and cracking intake manifolds.

If the front seats have the little pouch attached to the front of the bottom seat cushion, then it is an early 03.

I bought a real nice 03 GMQ Ultimate trim with 140,000 miles on it over a year ago for $3650 and it had 4 new tires+ a new battery. Of course the LCM lighting control module went out right after I got it, but now Ford will fix them for free if the car is 15 years or younger and under 250,000 miles.

I'd get a Crown, but I'd only buy the higher trimmed cars.
No police or base trims. Having things like key pad entry, auto dim mirror, lumbar, redundant audio controls, trip computer, outside temp display, etc is nice.

I'd buy a Crown or GMQ in a heart beat.

I have two 03 Town Cars, 03 GMQ, 01 Crown LX, 95 Town Car and equally enjoy driving each one.
Thanks! Very informative.. But why does it seem like only the GMQ's have the intake problem..also, have you ever heard of a police interceptor package on a GMQ? Look at this CL add, http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4470507389.html guy says this one was a rental for the first 60k of its life
Old May 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Lincaholic

Michael VII LSC/SE is a name known to allMichael VII LSC/SE is a name known to allMichael VII LSC/SE is a name known to allMichael VII LSC/SE is a name known to allMichael VII LSC/SE is a name known to allMichael VII LSC/SE is a name known to all
According to Wiki you would find P71 or P7b in the VIN code of Crown Vics.

Nice looking GMQ.
91 LSC/SE, Electric Red Currant
88 Mazda MX6 GT
97 C2500HD extra-cab Mediterranean Blue -2nd driver
Lead or Follow, But Stay outa the Way
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Tech Writer

LithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant futureLithiumCobalt has a brilliant future
Honestly, Town Cars are really not priced much more than the CVN or GM's if you look long enough. As for going for a police interceptor, I'd pass. There's not many miles put on cars that are harder miles than those. Those cars get the piss beat out of them and there's not much life left at 100k miles, whereas a decent civilian car will go a few hundred thousand without major issues.

Current: 2007 Town Car Signature Limited, 2012 MKZ AWD
Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1967 Continental sedan, 1987 LTC Cartier, 1996 LTC DAE, 1996 LTC Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2004 LTC Ultimate, 2010 MKZ AWD Ultimate
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Lincaholic

The Grand Marquis never had a police package, but you could get the trailer towing package, which was basically the same thing, minus the speed certified speedometer cluster.

Crowns have just as many bad intakes.

We have an 03 in the shop right now with a leak just under the metal crossover by the thermostat.

They also break by the rear heater hose.

I just picked up an 03 Red Town Car in 90% new condition with 4 new tires for $2850, but iit does have 222,000 miles, but drives as good as my 100,000 mile Town Car.

I'd spend a few weeks/month looking around.
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Lincaholic

nice car

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4458564653.html

This GMQ is well worth the $2800, it is not an Ultimate trim, but nice for the price and low miles.

My red Town Car

Cracked leaking heater hose- nipple out of 01 Town Car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-05-18-15-45-25.jpg (22.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-05-18-15-48-34.jpg (15.8 KB, 4 views)
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Lincaholic

Yeah, I have been taking my time, looking for a good TC..I'd much prefer a TC..I'm looking in a lot of 55 and over parks here in AZ as well, when I can get them to let me in. It's just that my 94 TC is starting to fall apart it seems..225,000
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Box Mod

gadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond reputegadget73 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrace01 View Post
The Grand Marquis never had a police package,
Not entirely true, but they are so rare it may as well be. In the 80s, there were some tiny number of box Grand Marquis police cars. A friend of mine managed to get hold of one of the 140 mph speedometers out of one.

The trailer tow package isn't quite the police deal. Whatever the HPP equivalent is closer. GLS maybe they called that? The HPP is really the one you want. It has the suspension stuff and the nice wheels. Basically a cop car without the crappy seats and steelies, and usually without the abuse. There was also an LX Sport, which was pretty nearly a Marauder without the DOHC engine. it had the floor shifter and all that whatnot.

1991 Mark VII LSC

1984 Continental Turbo Diesel