LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Tech > Appearance
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 12th, 2021, 06:31 PM
Lincaholic

mcafgr is on a distinguished road
Paint and clear coat question.

I spent the whole day sanding, painting, clear coating my front bumper cover. I also replaced the chrome trim as well. The stuff at Rock Auto is a direct replacement and a perfect fit FYI. Now for the major issue I have.

I Wet sanded the entire bumper and did all the prep work properly. I then used prep spray to make sure I had removed any and all wax and containments. I then sprayed adhesion spray to get a good surface for the paint. I sprayed Dupli color Performance white which is a direct match for my color. 2 coats. I inspected the job and it looked great...A perfect match to my hood and front fenders. I then sprayed Dupli-color Acrylic enamel Clearcoat. The entire damn bumper turned to an off white almost yellow!!....And I am pissed.

Before I scream at Dupl-color.....Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?...Is it bad Clearcoat?...wrong Clear Coat?....I al going to have to redo it all and maybe someone can recommend a different rattle can product? Thanks guys.
Old February 13th, 2021, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Mcafgr

Sorry dude I have no idea why you are having the paint troubles you are, I'm not a painter but I have moved your question into the appearance forum

Regards

Dereck

They eat cheap batteries like Dereck eats Little Debbies. - LSRX101
Old February 13th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Lincaholic

mcafgr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Mcafgr

Sorry dude I have no idea why you are having the paint troubles you are, I'm not a painter but I have moved your question into the appearance forum

Regards

Dereck
Thanks Dereck
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the roughTobyU is a jewel in the rough
The real prob is the rattle cans! But I have done some nice work with them.

If you get the purple Harbor Freight gun for 14.99 (yes. it really is 14.99) you can do darn nice work with it.
Then you go to auto paint supply place and they will give you the right stuff. Make it much safer this way.

I have had not issues with yellowing but I have had clear not be compatible and bubble up the paint!

I would think that duplicolor paint codes paint (which I am almost certain are acrylic enamel) should be fine with their enamel clear.

Now if you got they lacquer for either one there might be an issue.

Call them and gripe at them and get a free can or two but you still have a lot of work to re-do....SUCKS!