LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Our Archives > Continental Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old July 18th, 2006, 02:57 AM

Russell420 is on a distinguished road
1999 Continental cooling system problem!

I should've known better, but I decided to flush/change the coolant in my 1999 Continental this evening. Having no manual, I assumed it would be no problem, though my experience working on new cars is limited. Old cars, no problemo.

Anyway, I took off the reservoir cap and opened the petcock and drained all I could. I then closed the petcock, refilled with some flushing solution and water in the reservoir, started the motor and let it run for about a half hour, then drained at the petcock again. I then filled the reservoir with plain water, ran the motor again for 30 minutes, then drained it at the petcock and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze.

The car is acting like the thermostat is not opening. Just driving up the road a short distance causes the temp gauge to get hot. The thermostat seemed to open once, and afterward the check coolant level warning came on. I checked and the reservoir was dry, so I added coolant, but the thermostat does not seem to be opening any more.

What is wrong here? Should I replace the thermostat? If so, where the heck is it located and how do I remove it? I read where I might have air in the system, so I removed the crossover plug and tried to add coolant there, but when I add coolant there, the open reservoir overflows (i.e. if I keep pouring coolant in the cross over). During one of the cycles of draining/filling and idling the vehicle, fluid had leaked out from under the cap and all over the floor. Could the cap be bad or was there probably too much coolant in the system? Any advice you can give me is appreciated.

Russell420
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Madd Essex power Yo!

Steve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond reputeSteve Moran has a reputation beyond repute
Hi, Russell420.

Welcome to Lincolns Online.

This should be an easy fix for you.
Yes. You have air in the system, you need to add coolant to the radiator via the radiator cap not the over flow tank.

I hope you have not gotten this car to hot from not putting in enough coolant, and driving to far.
The tank you are adding coolant to is only a reservoir for over flow only, not the proper place to add coolant mixture.

Not all is lost my good sir, you just need to park somewhere the front wheels are uphill or on jack stands. Remove the radiator cap and fill it up then let the engine run, (donít drive it.) as it warms up you will see the coolant level rise and lower and finally drop, that is when you know the thermostat has opened. Add more coolant mixture and after a while *15 min* you will notice it will not drop anymore.
Fill the reservoir one last time to the full when cold level and you should be set.

The reason for the full till cold is that as your system cools down the system will suck in or expel excess coolant as needed and you will want to make sure you have some in the tank if it needs it. After the engine cools down then look at the level and you should be fine, if it is a little over full it will be ok.
You should be good to go.
I hope this is easy to read, and helps you.

Although no trees were harmed as a result of making this post, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

"Fate just has it out for you, Steve. Do you walk around with a big bullseye on your back?.... "luxuryrules

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned or even disagreed with!" LSRX101
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Russell420 is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Thanks for the reply. However, I do not think I have a radiator cap. I have a pressurized reservoir tank (it has a 16 lb pressure cap on it) and a radiator that does not appear to have any cap at all (or at least none that I can see from the top of the motor). Are u suggesting that I start the motor and do the filling of the system at the crossover fill tube? Do I take off the reservoir cap when warming the engine before adding any mixture? Thanks.

I tried removing the pressurized reservoir cap, warming the engine, hoping that the thermostat would open. I don't think it ever did. So I bought and installed a new thermostat and a new pressurized cap on the reservoir tank. I filled the system at the crossover fill tube until the level was at the "cold" line in the reservoir tank; this was with the reservoir cap off. Car still got hot. Then I got the bright idea to put the reservoir cap on, THEN fill at the crossover tube, which forced any air to come out the crossover tube. I think it is now fixed. Drove the car for a while today and it did not get hot. Probably was nothing wrong with the thermostat or the cap either. Just needed to get the air out of the system like you said. Thanks for the help.

Russell420

Last edited by Russell420; July 18th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Lincaholic

pro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud ofpro-five-oh has much to be proud of
Do a search for air in the coolant on the Mark VIII forums...there is a crossover tube near the alternator, you fill coolant from there and run the motor to let the air bleed out.

The thermostat is in a remote case somewhere near the belt, in a radiator hose.

1971 Mark III
1972 Mark IV
1978 Mark V
1979 Mark V Collector's Series
1983 Continental
1983 Continental Valentino
1987 Mark VII GTC Stage I
1988 Town Car Signature
1989 Continental Signature
1995 Mark VIII LSC