LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Our Archives > Town Car Archive
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Patriot

Sco-Tech will become famous soon enough
EATC problem

Hey all, I almost forgot how to post a new thread! You see, my 96 Lincoln Towncar never has problems...err..until now.
The buttons on the heater seem to not work...that is the "floor" and "defrost" buttons. The heat just continues to come from the vents. I get cold feet in the winter and need the heat down below. I tried the air conditioning and it appeared to blow cold air out the vents as well, so I don't think it is a blend door issue.
Why won't my "floor" and "defrost" buttons work? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Peter

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot. I did the self diagnostic test and it spit out two codes, 125 and 115.

Last edited by Sco-Tech; February 17th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Lincaholic

olopezm will become famous soon enough
Did you follow the proper instructions for the self test? If the ingine/interior is not at the correct temperature you'll get false error codes.

About the air flowing only through the vents, you have a loose hose or vacuum leak. Check at the back of the engine and attached to the firewall for a vacuum distribution tree and inspect each hose for cracks.

Best regards,

Oscar.
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Patriot

Hey Oscar, I did follow the instructions to a T. I just returned home from buying some refreshments at the local municipality, and then did the test. Car was warmed to normal operating temperture. Temperture inside the vehicle was at least 70 degrees.
I just wish that it would be the blend door actuater as I have replaced one before with no sweat.

Oscar, I appreciate you for taking the time to respond to my "mystery". Thanks! ColdFeet

Last edited by Sco-Tech; February 18th, 2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Sco-Tech

Those two fault codes on a 96 Town Car are usually false ones caused by a software error.

Regards

Dereck

They eat cheap batteries like Dereck eats Little Debbies. - LSRX101
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

no0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to behold
Hi Sco-Tech,

A self-test of the EATC system will only show faults within the electrical components of the system, nothing concerning the mechanical (vacuum) operation of the 3 doors involved in the air distribution system. (inside/outside air inlet door (recirculation), heater air damper door (panel vent) and floor/defrost door). Actually, 2 subsystems within the EATC system.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with the operation of the heater air damper door. It must be stuck in the vent mode position, not allowing air to move toward the floor/defrost door. Removing vacuum from the vacuum motor should allow the door to move to it's default position (NV) which allows air flow to the floor/defrost door.

I would be guessing a mechanical failure of either the door itself or the vacuum motor, and more than likely, the door itself.

Replacement of either require the removal of the heater air plenum chamber from the vehicle. Not good news. Basically the same procedure as a BDA replacement, just deeper.

GL.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg System Air Flow.jpg (70.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Plenum.jpg (69.1 KB, 177 views)
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Banned

no0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to beholdno0c is a splendid one to behold
Additionl Information

After looking at http://www.fordparts.com/Landing/Motorcraft.aspx it appears that the vent door is no longer serviced separately, if it ever was.

The good news is that the 18471 plenum chamber has a MSRP of only $202.97 and available at Tasca Ford for $133.96. I know for that price, it's a no-brainer, I wouldn't mess with a POS from a salvage yard.

It even appears you get 2 new vacuum motors and the floor/defrost door as well when you purchase this assembly.

GL.

Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plenum Chamber.jpg (70.1 KB, 173 views)
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Patriot

Thanks for the info Dereck and Tim. Although I was hoping you would just tell me that it was a fuse or something simple. Tim, I am greatful for the time you spent researching the info you gave me. I have printed it out for further study.
This looks like a big job. Have you ever done this before? For that matter, has anyone? I'm almost tempted just to leave it as it is and wear some wool socks so my feet don't get cold. Either way, if I do decide to go ahead and try to change this thing out, it will have to wait till summer. I don't have a heated garage. Thanks again, Peter
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Lincaholic

Tennesseestorm is on a distinguished road
My friend that has a '95 Town Car Cartier with 160K has mentioned hers does this. She had her blend door replaced last summer (it was stuck on heat), but she said she still was having problems with the hvac unit. I told her that where the air blew out was not the blend door, that was the temperature control. Kinda funny, but she said she bangs her control panel with her fists and it starts working for awhile... not a good idea I tell her as she may damage something else. Whats worse is that the moron that changed the blend door replaced it with a used one out of another car that was in a salvage lot... bad move... I told her matter of time maybe before it went out. Oh well. I am so happy for now that mine is fine in all aspects (which is usually not my luck, lol)

She hates her car and makes sure everyone knows... recently her cars air suspension blew out... now its a like a low-rider in the back and she is not happy. Oh well.

Good luck with your issue.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; February 18th, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Lincaholic

Peter,

Tim is right and I must have been too busy digging my nose when I replied the first time LOL.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and wasting your time (in case you started inspecting anything I pointed you to) if the problem was the vacuum the system would work only in defrost mode, it happened to my windstar and I even wrote an article about fixing it for another forum and something similar happened to my TC.

Anyway, it looks like it will be a pain, and should you decide to fix it I really hope everything goes great!.

Good luck!,

Oscar.
Old June 17th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Lincaholic

BEtransporters is on a distinguished road
Im in need of changing out the whole plenum or just the heater door. Since we have all the cool diagrams here I thought this would be a good place to start. I was at the pick n pull and found a crown vic with the dashboard ripped open. I really cant figure out how to remove the whole plenum assembly from the car! If anyone has done this or knows how please help! It looks really hard to get out even with the dash board already pulled out I cant imagine doing this on my car. I'm assuming you would just follow the steps for the BDA replacement and go from there. My orig problem is that my blend door flops around which sux cuz I replaced the BDA a while back. If I drive with the EATC set to off and I have a window open I can feel heat pouring out of the floor vent.

Last edited by BEtransporters; June 17th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lincaholic

chagus will become famous soon enough
im looking forward to this resolve of this thread because i have the same problem on my '90 TC. When i accelerate, the air stops at the top and bleeds down to the lower vents and comes back as i deccelerate. Also, if on the off postition it will blow hot air at the bottom.
Old October 13th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Lincaholic

AZDude has a spectacular aura aboutAZDude has a spectacular aura about
Uh oh, I'm having the same problem. The air only comes out of the
panel vents no matter what i select. If i select floor, the air comes out of the panel. If I select defrost, the air comes out of the panel. Etc. while most of the time, I like the heat to come out of the panel vents, sometimes I want it on the floor or need to defrost the windshield.

By the looks of this, I guess I need a new plenum. I have a sneaking suspecion that the plenum is discontinued . Oy vey.
Old October 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Tman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really nice
Do an advanced search of all open forums using my user name (Tman70) using the keyword 'hinge'. This will bring together all the various threads concerning this topic...
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman70 View Post
Do an advanced search of all open forums using my user name (Tman70) using the keyword 'hinge'. This will bring together all the various threads concerning this topic...
Thanks Tman70, I have read alot of your posts and they are very informative. I have read about the hinge breaking and it does appear to be my problem. I'll read more later.
Old October 14th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Lincaholic

Well Tman70, after doing some more research, it does appear that the hinge has broke. This would explain why my blend door sometimes gets stuck in the hot position because the panel door gets in the way.

So can you tell me the full part number for the plenum? I still have some hope that the plenum is still available. Thanks.
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Lincaholic

http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/online...4-1904086.html)

Looks to still be available according to this site. Is this a legit site?
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco-Tech View Post
Hey all, I almost forgot how to post a new thread! You see, my 96 Lincoln Towncar never has problems...err..until now.
The buttons on the heater seem to not work...that is the "floor" and "defrost" buttons. The heat just continues to come from the vents. I get cold feet in the winter and need the heat down below. I tried the air conditioning and it appeared to blow cold air out the vents as well, so I don't think it is a blend door issue.
Why won't my "floor" and "defrost" buttons work? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Peter

P.S. Oh, I almost forgot. I did the self diagnostic test and it spit out two codes, 125 and 115.

Did you get it fixed?

If it won't change from panel vents to floor to defrost, then it is not blend door...It is is one either lost vacuum that goes to actuators that divert air flow or a problem with actualor itself or problem with control unit not telling vacuum to go there.

Usually a loss of vacuum is the cause for this. Just like many fords when you go up a long hill the air goes to defrost....when no longer giving so much throttle...the air goes back to where it was suppossed to be.

I think you can get to one or two of the acuators under the dash without taking anything apart. I think you can touch one on the pass side....IIRC
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lincaholic

TobyU is on a distinguished road
Crap!! Just realized post was Feb 11...not 12..oops
Well, hope he got it fixed without dropping dash.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Lincaholic

94TownCarSig is on a distinguished road
Haha, I took my 94 up into the mountains this summer, and while going up one of the big mountains in Va, I noticed that the A/C switched from the vents to the floor!

Then it came back to the vents, then later did it again.

That's the only time this has ever happened.
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Lincaholic

fastrace01 has a spectacular aura aboutfastrace01 has a spectacular aura about
It is usually the other way around, the floor won't work.

Simply close all 4-of your dash vents and it should really allow for a lot of flow to then be directed to the windshield and floor.

I thought the default failure "relaxation selection in case of system fail" was for the system to default to blow to the windshield if the vacuum motors went etc. .
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:11 AM

Tman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really niceTman70 is just really nice
That system failure scenario was developed by engineers that don't consider MECHANICAL failures a part of system operation. They usually don't consider leaves, pencils and/or mouse nests as a system failure, either. You have to think 'outside the box' these days.
Old November 14th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Lincaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94TownCarSig View Post
Haha, I took my 94 up into the mountains this summer, and while going up one of the big mountains in Va, I noticed that the A/C switched from the vents to the floor!

Then it came back to the vents, then later did it again.

That's the only time this has ever happened.
That happened because the actual vacuum reservoir ran "empty" due to prolonged high throttle/low vacuum condition. I don't know if it would be normal but I know that could also happen because of a vacuum leak; I would just take a look at the lines to make sure everything is OK or you can just let it be...

Oscar.
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Lincaholic

smbakke77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My friend that has a '95 Town Car Cartier with 160K has mentioned hers does this. She had her blend door replaced last summer (it was stuck on heat), but she said she still was having problems with the hvac unit. I told her that where the air blew out was not the blend door, that was the temperature control. Kinda funny, but she said she bangs her control panel with her fists and it starts working for awhile... not a good idea I tell her as she may damage something else. Whats worse is that the moron that changed the blend door replaced it with a used one out of another car that was in a salvage lot... bad move... I told her matter of time maybe before it went out. Oh well. I am so happy for now that mine is fine in all aspects (which is usually not my luck, lol)

She hates her car and makes sure everyone knows... recently her cars air suspension blew out... now its a like a low-rider in the back and she is not happy. Oh well.

Good luck with your issue.
Sacrilege! How can anyone HATE a Townie???