LincolnsOnLine.com

Home Forum Links Tech Rides Power Tour Gallery
Go Back   Lincolns OnLine Message Forum > Hot Rod Lincolns > Lincoln Truck
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old March 4th, 2017, 08:48 AM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

mark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud of
2014 Navigator R/F Strut

Two weeks ago, I changed the oil & filter on my Navigator @ 027,345 miles. My vision always and/or usually finds things that I'm not looking for. i locked onto the right front strut that was coated in thick oil--from the shaft down. I knew the strut was leaking. Since it's under warranty, I called the Dealership for replacement. "How do you know the strut requires replacement"? I was asked. Duh--it's coated in thick oil. A few days ago I took it in. "we must verify the issue first" I was told. I got a call the next day that they are replacing the strut--surprise! They replaced the entire right front strut assembly. Of course when I got home, I checked the R/F lug nut torque. Too easy to removed, so I re-torqued the 6 nuts to 130 ft pounds. I've been playing with the torque down from 150 to 130 as they're a bear to remove if I had a flat away from home. I now carry a 4' length of pipe to assist my breaker bar when on the road. All is good now!
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:23 PM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

mark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud ofmark95man has much to be proud of
Of course the Dealership left grease all over the wheel & suspension. Why didn't they clean off the wheel? Not hard as I did it as I usually do when rotating the tires. Photos in : Lincoln Lounge/ Attempted Dealership B.S.

Last edited by mark95man; March 11th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Dereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond reputeDereck has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Mark95man

I am wondering how they managed to get grease all over the wheel changing a strut, unless it was oil from the leaking strut.

I must admit I wouldn't have cleaned the wheel up either unless it was me that had spilled the oil/grease

Regards

Dereck

They eat cheap batteries like Dereck eats Little Debbies. - LSRX101
Old March 13th, 2017, 09:55 AM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Hi Mark95man

I am wondering how they managed to get grease all over the wheel changing a strut, unless it was oil from the leaking strut.

I must admit I wouldn't have cleaned the wheel up either unless it was me that had spilled the oil/grease

Regards

Dereck
Hi Dereck: When I first saw this, it looked like grease. That was confirmed when I removed the wheel. There was thick grease on the steering rack, lower suspension arm, brake hose. Unless I am wrong, it wasn't oil from the strut as the wheel was clean when I spotted the issue before repair. W.T.F. did they do? The rubber coverings on the rack are not damaged. Everything else looks good. Maybe a grease gun gone wild? OR they broke free the lower ball joint to remove the strut. Then filled that ball joint with grease that came out upon assembly? It appears to be the same grease that's in my grease gun.

Last edited by mark95man; March 13th, 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old March 30th, 2017, 09:06 AM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

W.T.F. there's more grease on the right front wheel & inner fender. I think they damaged the r/f universal joint's rubber boot. The warranty is still in effect, so I had them replace the strut a few weeks ago. ^$%#@&! they F up this simple repair! I'll take photos and call "them" today for another repair. Just getting annoyed but they're humans and we all F up.
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:30 PM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

Navigator back in for repair. This will take longer than the strut replacement. It appears the outer rubber boot on the right half shaft got damaged during last months repair.
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:49 AM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

SO, I picked it up yesterday as it was finished or was it? I admit that I'm a P.I.A. when someone, other than me, works on one of my vehicles. They replaced the R/F axle half shaft due to damage they caused when replacing the strut. I removed the lug nut cover to discover the dust cap wasn't installed. Then I removed the lug nuts only to discover, maybe their torque wrench requires recalibration? Not one lug nut was 40 pounds close to specs. Back in 1970, while driving to work in NYC in my new MARK III, I notice a shake. Sure enough that dealership didn't tighten the lug nuts! All 5 were very loose. They had to replace the wheel, lug nuts & studs. So now I always check the lug nuts.
Old April 14th, 2017, 07:40 PM
2014 Lincoln Navigator

The dealership was going to hand deliver the dust cap. Since I'm about one hour away, I said it wasn't worth the effort. They did FedEx the part and I installed it. As for the torque, I think this is a dealership wide issue. Just check your lug nuts to make sure they are at the same torque--to avoid warped rotors.